SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC7822 in Ha

Adreneline

With a 90% moon Ha is pretty much the only option available so this is 58 (out of 60) x 300s of Ha taken with a Samyang 135mm + ASI1600MM-Pro unguided.

I've struggled to know what this should look like in terms of surrounding dust/nebulosity. Images of NGC7822 vary widely on the internet with anything from pristine blackness surrounding the NGC7822 to so much surrounding nebulosity it is almost difficult to distinguish the target. I've been guided by the apparent dark/near black patches towards the centre of the nebula.

ngc7822.thumb.png.98f8c200a42d49186ff9fb087cd467ae.png

The image was calibrated and integrated in APP, then processed in PI (ABE and HistogramStretch) followed by a very small amount of noise reduction in PS. The image is cropped a little to remove some dodgy looking stars in the corners - an ongoing issue with my 135mm+1600 setup I am failing to solve :( 

Thanks for looking and as ever comments and criticisms are alway welcome.

Adrian

P.S. There is a funny little curved artefact near the very top of the image; any thoughts on what that might be? I removed two lights that contained satelite trails but this feature is only distinguisable on the stacked image.

• Like 8

Very nice..  I tried a Samyang 135 with my ASI1600 and ZWO connectors..  very good except for the corner star distortion (even stopped down to f4) which I'm pretty sure is down to the ZWO camera connector..  I'm thinking of getting the Astrojolo adapter which has screw thread connection.  How is yours connected?

Dave

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

How is yours connected?

Thanks for the kind comment.

I too use the ZWO adapter having tried the TS-Optics (droops) and Artesky (a complete PITA to remove the lens!); I think the ZWO is the best of the bunch. I have also expressed an interest in ordering an adapter from Astrojolo - just waiting for him to tell me they are available. I've tried various f settings but still seem to get dodgy stars especially in my top right corner of each image. All a tad frustrating!

Adrian

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, alan potts said:

a lovely wide field shot of what must be a fairly large object

Thank you Alan.

I like imaging these larger areas in one pass with the 135mm + 1600. I know you trade detail for wide FoV but sometimes you are not really able to appreciate just how big some of these objects are and I like to see them set in their surrounding space.

Adrian

• Like 2

My current imaging rig is a 135mm lens and ASi1600 camera but my lens is the vintage Asahi Super Takumar f2.5 as used with film SLRs, a superb lens that works fine even at full aperture.

• Like 1