NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mount for C11 Edge HD :)

msacco

Hello guys! I've decided to with with the C11 Edge HD route, and I'm looking for a suitable mount for it.

I've heard a lot of bad reviews on the celestron hardware, and heard mostly good reviews on the Ioptron CEM60(the non encoders version).

I would love to hear more opinions on what would be a good choice for my C11, I'll mostly image DSO with a hyperstar probably, but I do want to have the ability to image on full focal length as well.

I'm imaging with the ASI071MC pro, and using the ASI224MC for guiding, don't think there's anything else relevant?

My budget is probably around the $3100 including shipping(which is around $100-200 here to Israel). I've seen so far that the best sites would probably be FLO/optcorp.

Thanks for the help :)

13 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

Possibly not the best solution.....

but I’ve use a C11 at f10 for spectroscopy mounted on a NEQ6PRO for the past ten years, no issues no drama.

13 hours ago, scitmon said:

C11 Edge Weight is 13kg, plus Accessories and apply the 2/3rds rule for Astrophotgraphy... You are looking at a mount that can handle around 23kgs of weight.  The CEM60 is a very good choice I think

Thanks for the comment guys, I actually had a similar discussion in cloudynights, and EVERYONE was saying that the CEM60 is bad and that the G11 is much better.
Any opinions?

Well I personally have only had experience with the Skywatcher AZEQ6 which is good. I was just going off iOptrons good reputation. Perhaps its worth emailing FirstLightOptics they are always happy to offer expert advice. 

14 hours ago, msacco said:

Thanks for the comment guys, I actually had a similar discussion in cloudynights, and EVERYONE was saying that the CEM60 is bad and that the G11 is much better.
Any opinions?

There is a sufficient spread of opinions on the internet that you can find good and bad reports of practically anything.  Some are even based on reality and experience. Although it is often impossible to tell which ones those are. And since old opinions regularly get recycled by people who don't have any first-hand knowledge, even looking at the date of a post doesn't tell you much.
All I can suggest is to heed the views of people who say they have actually owned an item - paid for with their own money -  for a considerable length of time in the near past (the last 6 months for example) and to ignore all the rest.

Ultimately it is up to you to decide which ones to believe.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, msacco said:

Any opinions?

Yes, G11 is plagued with backlash and you will tinker after tinker month by month, as the temperature changes.  I used to own two G11 and 14 years ago I developed a floating worm system. The available floating worm system which is offered by Losmandy still does not cope with the problem as it should.

Now that I retired from my day job I did not want to continue with the daily tinkering and got two CEM 120. I know it is not CEM 60 but is the same technology ...

CEM 60 has no backlash as it has a floating worm.

22 hours ago, pete_l said:

There is a sufficient spread of opinions on the internet that you can find good and bad reports of practically anything.  Some are even based on reality and experience. Although it is often impossible to tell which ones those are. And since old opinions regularly get recycled by people who don't have any first-hand knowledge, even looking at the date of a post doesn't tell you much.
All I can suggest is to heed the views of people who say they have actually owned an item - paid for with their own money -  for a considerable length of time in the near past (the last 6 months for example) and to ignore all the rest.

Ultimately it is up to you to decide which ones to believe.

13 hours ago, Rainer said:

Yes, G11 is plagued with backlash and you will tinker after tinker month by month, as the temperature changes.  I used to own two G11 and 14 years ago I developed a floating worm system. The available floating worm system which is offered by Losmandy still does not cope with the problem as it should.

Now that I retired from my day job I did not want to continue with the daily tinkering and got two CEM 120. I know it is not CEM 60 but is the same technology ...

CEM 60 has no backlash as it has a floating worm.

Thanks for the comments :)

On 16/10/2019 at 08:32, scitmon said:

C11 Edge Weight is 13kg, plus Accessories and apply the 2/3rds rule for Astrophotgraphy... You are looking at a mount that can handle around 23kgs of weight.  The CEM60 is a very good choice I think

Not always just weight but focal length to consider