SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Best spots in Bournemouth area

mattjanes100

Morning all. New the the Dorset group and relatively new to the Dorset area having moved here a couple of years ago from London! Wondered if members here would mind sharing some of their favourite spots for observing in the local area?

I've been out to the New Forest - Holmsely Car Park near Burley which was quite good but there were some curious horses around! Also tried Badbury Rings car park a couple of times. First visit there was great but next time there were a few people around which wasn't ideal.

Haven't been down to Durlston yet but will give that a go soon.

Hi Matt, welcome to the group.  Others will contribute suggestions I'm sure, but here go mine:

As you say, Durlston and Badbury Rings are favourite spots along with Hyde Common near Fordingbridge and Steeple ridge near Wareham.  There are also various sites with interesting foreground features - St Aldhelms Head, Durdle Door, Knowlton Church, etc.  Cranborne Chase AONB is applying for International Dark Sky status and there are various sites within that area.

One option is to join one or more astro clubs who hold sessions at these venues - Wessex Astronomical Society meets in Wimborne on the first Tuesday each month and has an observatory at Durlston with regular public/member sessions, and Fordingbridge Astronomers at St Ives near Ringwood on the 3rd Tuesday also holds sessions at Hyde Common and other locations.  We also have informal get togethers with members of this SGL club.

What are your preferences - visual and/or imaging?  DSO/planetary/solar/lunar/widefield?

Hope to see you at one of the meet ups.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I've seen Knowlton Church online, will have a drive out there soon.

At the moment I'm just observing and only dabbling with imaging. Keeping an eye out for a second hand DSLR at the moment. I've been interested and reading about physics theory for many years and only recently (finally) got myself a scope to start observing.

I've joined the BAA and will keep an eye on group meetups here and the two local societies too.

Will be good to meet a few people at some point!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/10/2019 at 17:54, Concretedan said:

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the group.  As the nights draw in I'm sure we'll arrange a meet up soon for some observing and a bit of a laugh...  If the rain ever stops!!

Cheers,

Dan

Hopefully the weather will clear soon Dan, the observing season has started pretty badly so far.

Fingers crossed we'll get out soon.