Work and weather rarely seem to cooperate. I knew my skies last night would be perfect, walk the dogs up the hill to the top of the lane, slowly turn round 180 degrees and the Pyrenees mountains are in full show off mode, even though they are 150 kms away and not a cloud in the sky. At this point I am considering quitting work, but it is one of those times that I just have to go to bed looking glum.

My brain just wont play ball. Of to sleep in an instant, wake up at 2am like a new born into this world (without the screaming) can't sleep, I know what I am missing, my missus will be less than impressed if I go stargazing through the night before this important day. What am I supposed to do? Can't lay in bed wide awake while the skies invite me outside. Trade off…. If I just do some wide field shorter exposure non guided then it's not astronomy, I AM SAFE.

Stick my Nikon on the Slik tripod, F 3.5 25 second exposure,  ISO800 damb, forgot the cable release, use the ten second timer instead. Continual problem with focus, I have no idea so guess it. Being out late I see the welcome return of winter, Orion, Taurus and Pliedies.  What better back drop despite the telephone line, beggars can't be choosers.

Hit the shutter release and ten seconds in, a bright orange burst from left to right, I am speech less until I shout out loud. Then I realize the camera is open!!!!! I pray to the Gods CMOS but have to wait fifteen hours to see the result. I hope you all enjoy as much as me. (nothing played with, just a simple RAW image at the right time) even has a green tip to it's tail.

DSC_0006 (2).jpg

• Like 14

Thanks everyone. The best bit, I was looking right there so got to see it, the picture doesn’t do it justice. Focus is a primary problem which has been touched on before, I will be looking for a prime focus wide angle manual lense.

I have to say that something is lost in translation as the picture on my pc is quite sharp but on here not so. For a comparison does anyone have a suggestion where to post for original def ?

Amazing luck for sure.

Marvin