NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

190 Mak/Newt in situ.

barkis

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18kg for the HEQ5 sounds a tad optimistic especially for imaging with a high leverage scope like the Mak - Newt.

Looks a nice job Ron. Have you got an extension on your EQ6? You might be interested in adding one of these counterweights http://www.astrodevelopments.com/ 2/3 of the way down the page. I have a 12.5kg jobby for my EM200.

18kg for the HEQ5 sounds a tad optimistic especially for imaging with a high leverage scope like the Mak - Newt.

Looks a nice job Ron. Have you got an extension on your EQ6? You might be interested in adding one of these counterweights http://www.astrodevelopments.com/ 2/3 of the way down the page. I have a 12.5kg jobby for my EM200.

Hi Martin, yes, I have the 8" extension fitted, it was black fro Flo, but I gave it about 5 coats of white Plastikote Paint.

I am about to do the same with an additional counterweight I bought from Philsail. It's Identical to the two that came with the mount, so I shall see how the mount copes with the additional weight of Guidescope cameras, Electric focuser, and Filter wheel etc.

The weight carrying capacity for the HEQ5, I got from a site on the Internet. Can't remember where exactly. The EQ6 Pro I believe is around 22Kg. The Astro Developements Weights look rather Posh. Chrome Plated no less. The 12.5 Kg is expensive. :)

Ron. :p

They aren't chrome plated Ron!

The Tak EM200 is rated at 16kg. The EQ6 is an EM200 clone and is rated at 22kg. Read into that what ever you want. Either way, that mak newt will be happy as Larry on your EQ6 :)

I may have to buy one of those Steve, as the DMB I have has a groove where the dovetail has been machined, allows the scope dovetail, which has a profiled base, to be positioned over that groove, and makes it potentially unstable. I have added a pic. to illustrate what I mean.

I need to change the dovetail, or the DMB. The dovetail will be the cheapest option obviously.

Ron.

11536_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

My understanding from listening to the likes of Ian King and Nik Szymanek is that for imaging you should always aim for no more than half the maximum capacity of the mount.

The EQ6 can handle up to 25kgs according to this website: http://www.telescopesales.co.uk/mntsky.htm

Whats the weight of the MakNewt? Its not mentioned on the FLO website :hello2:

Archived