SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

IC1396 - first with a Canon 200mm + ASI1600

Adreneline

Hi Everyone,

This is my first image using my ASI1600MM-Pro with my Canon 200mm f2.8.

Conditions were not ideal and I only captured 12 x 120s of Ha, OIII and SII. I was really interested in comparing the result with my Samyang 135mm in terms of star shapes, especially at the extremities of the image. This is 5h5s+3h7o+o : RGB all processed in PI with no noise reduction - just ABE and HT. I've also included the Ha.

848715243_IC1396-5h5s3h7oo-200mm.thumb.jpg.5b95219caad9a290c9b41f664effc336.jpg

IC1396_Ha_200mm.thumb.jpg.8867aff04405138d5097d46fe184c27a.jpg

All C&C welcomed.

Thanks for looking.

Adrian

• Like 9

That came out pretty much the same colours as mine did with a Canon, except on a longer F/L scope, I like the B&W version very much, lovely delicate detail in there. Great work especially with a DLSR, often considered second best to CCD's and the like.

Alan

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rico said:

Very nice image. Are running the 200mm wide open at f/2.8 or have you stepped down?

Thank you. I am using the 200mm at f2.8. It is very new to me (hardly used since I bought it three weeks ago) and to be honest I have no idea how to step it down - there is no aperture control on the lens - I assumed it was fixed at f2.8 but I would be happy to be told otherwise.

Adrian

You can buy step down adapter rings that screw into the filter thread at the front of the lens. I got a few from: https://www.crookedimaging.co.uk/products/kood-stepping-step-down-ring-lens-adapter?variant=31154001289

They reduce the f ratio as follows: 

72mm->67mm (f/2.8 ->f/3)

72mm->62mm (f/2.8 -> f/3.2)

72mm->58mm (f/2.8 -> f/3.4)

72mm->52mm (f/2.8 -> f/3.8)

The 200mm lens is amazing and I shoot wide open all the time. But I think if you step down a bit, you can improve the shape of stars at the corner of the images even more. I haven't used the rings yet, so I can't first hand tell you that this is true, but I'll be testing it soon. The positive of using a step down ring is that you avoid the diffraction spikes from the aperture blades. 

Looking forward to more of your images!!

Edited by Rico
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rico said:

I haven't used the rings yet, so I can't first hand tell you that this is true, but I'll be testing it soon.

I look forward to hearing/seeing how you get on with the rings.

1 hour ago, Rico said:

The positive of using a step down ring is that you avoid the diffraction spikes from the aperture blades.

A problem I experience all the time when using the Samyang 135mm but not (IMHO) as distracting as those from a reflector imaging system - although I fully appreciate and accept that many feel the diffraction spikes enhance the image.

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Thank you! - so am I if only the clouds would go away ;)

Adrian

18 hours ago, Rico said:

You can buy step down adapter rings that screw into the filter thread at the front of the lens. I got a few from: https://www.crookedimaging.co.uk/products/kood-stepping-step-down-ring-lens-adapter?variant=31154001289

They reduce the f ratio as follows: 

72mm->67mm (f/2.8 ->f/3)

72mm->62mm (f/2.8 -> f/3.2)

72mm->58mm (f/2.8 -> f/3.4)

72mm->52mm (f/2.8 -> f/3.8)

The 200mm lens is amazing and I shoot wide open all the time. But I think if you step down a bit, you can improve the shape of stars at the corner of the images even more. I haven't used the rings yet, so I can't first hand tell you that this is true, but I'll be testing it soon. The positive of using a step down ring is that you avoid the diffraction spikes from the aperture blades. 

I'd love to see some test shots as well, if you have time! :) 

Edit: just found this post on CN:

For my Canon 200mm f/2.8 lens (which also has a 72mm filter thread), I bought this set of rings.  I found that stopping it down to f/3.5 (58mm ring) improved the tightness of my stars.  They were a little sharper at f/3.9 (52mm ring), but not significantly so.  Accordingly, I use that lens with the 58mm ring.

Edited by Space Oddities
  • Like 1

For full freedom of f valiues, you can also buy sets of filter adapters (=step down rings) on ebay and Amazon and use them on various lenses. Here is an example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Concept-Stepping-Adapter-Step-Up-Step-Down/dp/B00JL4HGAI/ref=sr_1_3?crid=Q3AIGLBA47RW&keywords=filter+ring+adapter+62-+52&qid=1569568796&sprefix=filter+ring%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-3

• Like 1