Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher AZ-GTI WiFi question.

banjaxed

I would be obliged if anyone could help with this problem. The information in the app says ‘erase previous alignment data for a fresh start’ but after searching all the info I can’t find any information on how to erase the previous data. Another question please. When using the 2 star alignment method do you have to manually point at the first star ?

Thank you.

Edited by banjaxed

Reset alignment gives it a 'fresh' start ... I never bother though.

In 2 star align, you choose 2 stars then begin alignment, th mount slews to first star ... Approximately, then you manually center star with keypad, then again on 2nd star.

Also, in settings - connection you can choose emulator so you can play with the app without connecting the mount. Just remember to change it back afterwards or you'll be in a dark field one night trying to connect and after 20 minutes you'll remember !

Screenshot_20190920-200019.png

Screenshot_20190920-200101.png

Screenshot_20190920-200054.png

Screenshot_20190920-200039.png

Edited by knobby

Thank you very much for your very detailed and helpful explanation, it is very much appreciated.

10 minutes ago, knobby said:

Reset alignment gives it a 'fresh' start ... I never bother though.

In 2 star align, you choose 2 stars then begin alignment, th mount slews to first star ... Approximately, then you manually center star with keypad, then again on 2nd star.

Also, in settings - connection you can choose emulator so you can play with the app without connecting the mount. Just remember to change it back afterwards or you'll be in a dark field one night trying to connect and after 20 minutes you'll remember !

Screenshot_20190920-200019.png

Screenshot_20190920-200101.png

Screenshot_20190920-200054.png

Screenshot_20190920-200039.png

I think part of my problem is my app needs upgrading as your screen looks different to mine. In settings my version is 1.17.1 so I will try and find the latest version. I just noticed that you have yours in EQ mode, would that make much difference to the menu screen ?

Possibly, there are 2 apps, the pro version allows EQ or Alt Az ... Both are free though.

(EQ mode needs a mount firmware update and is only worth trying if you have a wedge and want to try long exposure imaging)

Should add , I'm using Android

Edited by knobby
Spelling

On 20/09/2019 at 20:05, knobby said:

Ha ha - I'm sure I've never done that :) 

To upgrade the firmware:

You can download the latest versions from here: http://www.skywatcher.com/download/software/motor-control-firmware/   If you're not needing the EQ mode option then it looks like https://inter-static.skywatcher.com/downloads/mc014_1_motor_controller_firmware_0320.zip is the latest version.  You will also need the firmware loader program, which is available form the same SW page.  My memory is that running the loader program is the very straight forward / self explanatory.

• Haha 1

The firmware update is for the mount so it can be used in eq mode on the pro flavor of the free mobile device application. If using in altaz then you won't need to update the firmware.

However you could read any readme files with the firmware  to see if the firmware update includes any improvements or fixes to altaz use.

4 hours ago, happy-kat said:

The firmware update is for the mount so it can be used in eq mode on the pro flavor of the free mobile device application. If using in altaz then you won't need to update the firmware.

However you could read any readme files with the firmware  to see if the firmware update includes any improvements or fixes to altaz use.

That is a very good idea, if it isn’t broke don’t fix it. I will message knobby and ask him to look at AZ mode and see if there is any difference, thank you for your suggestion.