NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pelicans breeding by the looks

alan potts

Had a few set backs and the Moon didn't help me much last night as I only got 17 x 4 minute subs and Biggles flew across 2 of them, in fact one looked like Bomber Command was out and about. So didn't know what to capture and ended up doing this, it is not focused very well at all, I believe this is moving a tad during capture, be it temperature of whatever.

Stacked in DSS and a quick few stretches in PS. 115mm APO at 805mm F7 using most dynamic mode, shot at minus 5 degrees with ambient at about 22 degrees.

Not keen on the colours so I think I will add to it by at least the same again and re process. If anyone reads the thread a see Green mentioned, I have removed it.

Starless.thumb.jpg.bf6cc7f4e200985b4c4c2a6eb9f7c17b.jpg

Alan

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Coming along nicely Alan, Steve posted a version last year ? practically all white Pelican that looked really good.

Have you sorted all your gremlins ?

Dave

Working on it Dave, but as I am just about to order, a CEM 60, 183MC Brat mask and some weights and tripod I am sure I can find plenty to keep you all busy. Feel I can deal with the tripod and counterweights.

Alan

3 hours ago, Laurin Dave said:

Looking good Alan, nicely framed and a good field of view,  I expect the green cast is a gradient caused by the Moon..  Are you using Focusing Aid in APT ?  its in the Tools tab or Alt+F shortcut it allows you to measure HFD or FWHM.

Dave

I may have over stretched it a bit, green is easy enough to remove, don't know what caused it as the moon was only at 5 degrees when I stopped. I am using focus aid but not finding it easy, it is the 2,3 second delay in Live View, it's not really live, unless I am doing something wrong (again). I think the focus on mine is not good, since it feel off the mount one night, good for heart attacks, I am strongly considering a Baader focuser to replace it, just need to go out and measure the barrel, 90mm I think but I am not sure of thread , there is 1mm and 1,5, need to look.

Looks like the weather is changed 43 nights clear, pretty good that.

Alan

17 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Working on it Dave, but as I am just about to order, a CEM 60, 183MC Brat mask and some weights and tripod I am sure I can find plenty to keep you all busy. Feel I can deal with the tripod and counterweights.

Alan

Same solution as me, if it don't work keep throwing money at it 🤣

Dave

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

I shot the same target last night. Didnt quite nail the processing though, never do. 

pelican.thumb.jpg.cf61f73a7c88a0e99f38cdcb5870e541.jpg

Yes I saw your and I believe left a like or maybe a comment. The processing I tend to rush when I don't have enough data, like last nigh, I am not bad a PS, about the only think I half understand, mind you that's taken 14 years. I feel yours needs a tad more contrast, lots of good things there though.

Alan

10 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

@alan potts have you attached the right image?

Not sure what it should look like but it was a whole lot worse than that beforehand, I did it very quickly and with this game whats right anyway. I thought it was much more red in real terms, I know a got a few subs with the Canon a while back.

Alan

12 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Not sure what it should look like but it was a whole lot worse than that beforehand, I did it very quickly and with this game whats right anyway. I thought it was much more red in real terms, I know a got a few subs with the Canon a while back.

Alan

Alan, what I mean I cannot see any difference between the first one and the modified one you have posted later in the thread?

image.thumb.png.e4f0594f2126c94520307f31b23a4784.png

36 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Is it connected via USB3?  if so it should do 10fps .. 

No I don't have a USB 3 laptop, 5 laptops but none USB 3, only my 2 desktops are USB3. I find it odd this should be required as my Canon 7D mk2 is more pixels and it does live view if I recall correctly, good while since I played with it on the scope.

Alan

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

Alan, what I mean I cannot see any difference between the first one and the modified one you have posted later in the thread?

image.thumb.png.e4f0594f2126c94520307f31b23a4784.png

Ha ha, sorry I though you were saying it was still wrong, no I change the header as sometimes people look no further and I thought it did look a bit better, the other was a horrid colour with a yellow green caste, which if I'm honest I thought was OK this morning, easily pleased i guess, sorry I mis-understood you question