SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Affordable upgrade option

Been looking around for an upgrade to my ED80 but it seems most of the modest upgrade options are all 400-500mm. I'm looking for something 550-650ish. The esprit 100 would be nice but too expensive at the moment. I could possibly stretch to £1000 new but more than happy going cheaper for a used one. 

Any recommendations?

Problem with the esprit is they don't come up that often used.. Are you thinking of a triplet?

I'd be inclined to stick with the ed80 until you either have enough for a new one or one pops up on the used market..they don't hang for long.. the ed80 is a heck of a scope for the money..

2 minutes ago, MattJenko said:

Bit left field, but how about a fully loaded Explorer 130PDS. Proven amazing little scope, 650mm FL, works wonderfully on your HEQ5 and because the OTA is cheap so you could splash out on awesome focuser and dew heaters etc etc.

if i had an obsy i might consider a newt but my pier is a little too exposed and would be worried about wind wobble. 

2 hours ago, MattJenko said:

Bit left field, but how about a fully loaded Explorer 130PDS. Proven amazing little scope, 650mm FL, works wonderfully on your HEQ5 and because the OTA is cheap so you could splash out on awesome focuser and dew heaters etc etc.

You beat me to it. If your willing to work with it the 130PDS is very capable. I keep thinking about an esprit 80 and then I compare my 130PDS images to those taken with the 80mm scope for detail and I end up backing out. The conclusion may be that nothing less than 100mm of aperture can replace my 130PDS.