Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Esprit 80 User Experiences

Are there any experienced Esprit 80 users who would be willing to share their experience of the scope. 

I am strongly considering one and I see a large amount of variability in the quality of the images I see on astrobin. 

If anyone is using a ASI1600mm pro with the scope then that would be even better. Also nice to see some images. 

One of my worries is that the Ha stars are not as tight as I have seen on some other scopes, but again it could be the user / processing. So hard to tell. 

Adam 

Edited by Adam J

I have two Esprits, says it all really, truly beautiful Scopes, you need to make sure that you have perfect backfocus distances of 55mm with the flattener.

I upgraded the focuser on the 100 when I really shouldn't have as the SW focuser is in my mind better than the moonlite as it is R&P.

• Like 1

I also have two Esprits, the 80 and 100. Both with flatteners, optics are superb. I use with ZWO 1600MM, 80 has smaller image circle than the 100 but stars are round right to the edge of frame on 1600mm. With a full frame DSLR I suspect the 80 will struggle at edges. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

I have two Esprits, says it all really, truly beautiful Scopes, you need to make sure that you have perfect backfocus distances of 55mm with the flattener.

I upgraded the focuser on the 100 when I really shouldn't have as the SW focuser is in my mind better than the moonlite as it is R&P.

6 minutes ago, AbsolutelyN said:

I also have two Esprits, the 80 and 100. Both with flatteners, optics are superb. I use with ZWO 1600MM, 80 has smaller image circle than the 100 but stars are round right to the edge of frame on 1600mm. With a full frame DSLR I suspect the 80 will struggle at edges. 

How would you both rate the sharpness / color correction of the 80 vs the 100? I note that the FOV is not that different between the two 400mm vs 550mm focal length what made you decide to own both and which did you own first? 

Which do feel you use more?

The main thing putting me off the larger scope is weight on my HEQ5 pro. But to be honest the 80 is not an issue for me so long as its optically as good as the 100. 

Adam 

Edited by Adam J

I bought the 100 and was just amazed at the contrast and quality, then an 80 came up at the right price which I couldn't refuse, sold my ED80 Pro and that funded part of it, they are simply amazing clarity and quality. Haven't used either for 12 months as we had a terrible winter with only 5 nights clear last year and I had problems with my mount on those clear nights and then I have been playing with my 10", I will switch shortly to one of them for NB during the colder months.

As to which I would use most, it will depend on the FOV that I need.

I've only got the 80 a couple of month ago. FOV is similar but quite a bit wider - completely depends what you want to take images of and if you want to title images or not. I can't say I've noticed much difference in sharpness or colour correction, both excellent. I wish the 80 had tube rings, had to get a dovetail for the 80 to get it to balance but not a major issue.

NGC7000 with 100 & 1600mm 
https://www.astrobin.com/404588/?nc=user

NGC7000 with 80 & 1600mm
https://www.astrobin.com/413027/?nc=user

Full res with 80/1600mm for star shapes at edge
https://www.astrobin.com/full/e2ifzm/0/?real=&mod=

• Like 1

I have an Esprit 80, which I'm very happy with. Its weight is very manageable being a smaller scope. That's important for me as I setup and tear down each session.

Also the field flattener is optically matched to the scope too, which I really like.

The flattener is screwed to the focuser and also has a thread for attaching spacers, camera filter wheel etc. So you don't need a push fit connection at all.

If you prefer tube rings it is possible to remove the foot. I've done it for mine. I have it mounted in rings with a guide scope on top. I posted a topic about doing this a while back. Here it is: