NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First shot at the moon

JackCooke

Morning all,

Thanks to the beautiful work of some members here (Ruud, Lurcher, Mike JW) I finally made two attempts at lunar sketching, one of Theophilus near the terminator and last night of Kepler's rays at full moon. 

I found both drawings very challenging. I'm only using graphite - it will take a lot of practise before I try more demanding techniques like charcoal and stippling.

I'm not happy with either sketch (and their inaccuracies) but I wanted to post them so that hopefully I can look back and see some improvement. 

Despite the frustration its wonderful to have found another lifetime's pursuit. Lunar sketching is reassuringly future proof too - LP, flight corridors etc. can't rob us of its light!

Final image is one by the late Harold Hill - something to aspire to...

Thanks for looking. 

Jack

(both sketches made in a 140mm refractor F7 at x140-x180)

image1 (1).jpeg

image2.jpeg

Screen Shot 2019-09-14 at 11.35.32.png

• Like 15

Hi Jack,

You are right to get started with drawing and good to be self critical. I am not naturally artistic, in fact I was thrown out of art at school. Like you I began with a simple sketch of a crater and it was awful. However I stuck with it, examined in detail ( my scientific approach) other people's sketches and gradually understood how to sketch craters. It took me two years of dogged determination to develop a technique that worked for me. I even practised drawing imaginary craters. My skills are such that I cannot complete the sketch at the eyepiece as I work so slowly, so I do a rough sketch at the eyepiece with notes and complete later.

You have made a good start, keep posting.

Thanks for the Harold Hill sketch - his work is masterful.

Have fun.

Mike

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mike JW said:

Hi Jack,

You are right to get started with drawing and good to be self critical. I am not naturally artistic, in fact I was thrown out of art at school. Like you I began with a simple sketch of a crater and it was awful. However I stuck with it, examined in detail ( my scientific approach) other people's sketches and gradually understood how to sketch craters. It took me two years of dogged determination to develop a technique that worked for me. I even practised drawing imaginary craters. My skills are such that I cannot complete the sketch at the eyepiece as I work so slowly, so I do a rough sketch at the eyepiece with notes and complete later.

You have made a good start, keep posting.

Thanks for the Harold Hill sketch - his work is masterful.

Have fun.

Mike

Hi Mike, 

Thanks for the encouragement - good to know you started from a similar position, there's hope for me yet!

Loved your drawing using the stippled technique like H Hill. Have you got his 'Portfolio of Lunar Drawings'? It's a beautiful book. 

J

Hi Jack,

I have seen various of Harold's drawings over the years but have never purchased his book. I would loved to have been tutored by Harold. I would be very content to produce just one drawing at his standard - maybe one day. My stippled technique tends to be random but with Harold's work it gives an air of precision placement of dots.

Mike

• Like 1

Well done. Great sketches.

I wasn't aware of Harold Hill, (please excuse the ignorance!), so will have to look out for some of his work. I don;t know if I've mentioned on here before, but have you seen Erika Rix also? There's one sketch online somewhere she's done of the Bullialdus Crater which I think is brilliant too.

15 hours ago, Mike JW said:

Hi Jack,

I have seen various of Harold's drawings over the years but have never purchased his book. I would loved to have been tutored by Harold. I would be very content to produce just one drawing at his standard - maybe one day. My stippled technique tends to be random but with Harold's work it gives an air of precision placement of dots.

Mike

I don't think you're as far off as you think! If I get to your level I'll be mighty pleased.

1 hour ago, Lurcher said:

Well done. Great sketches.

I wasn't aware of Harold Hill, (please excuse the ignorance!), so will have to look out for some of his work. I don;t know if I've mentioned on here before, but have you seen Erika Rix also? There's one sketch online somewhere she's done of the Bullialdus Crater which I think is brilliant too.

Thank you Lurcher. 

Just looked up Erika Rix - impressive drawings of the moon in its entirety! 

24 minutes ago, JackCooke said:

I don't think you're as far off as you think! If I get to your level I'll be mighty pleased.

Thanks for the encouragement. Maybe on a dark wet winter day I will do another dotty sketch. As Lurcher  indicates, Erika Rix produces excellent work - much to learn from her drawing skills. Mike

• Like 1