Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Last Nights Moon

Scooot

I decided to use my 10” Dob to capture the moon last night. I didn’t think the seeing was very good so rather than use the live view on the Canon to try and focus on a very wobbly moon, I focussed on Arcturus using the defraction spikes as a guide to good focus. It seems to have worked ok. It’s a stack of 99 exposures, 1/350 at ISO 400. Thanks for looking.

901C6EB7-0DDC-47DC-A7FE-3B1012E47749.thumb.png.183526701132223022660f23caed5e68.png

Edited by Scooot
  • Like 13

52 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Very nice Richard, didn't know you had open the cupboard of dark forces and black arts.

Alan

Thanks Alan,

Yes I succumbed  a while ago. :) mostly using a star adventurer. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maw lod qan said:

Very nice. The Moon was nice here till the thin clouds rolled in.

Thank you. A bank of cloud ruined the fun here too later on. I quite enjoyed viewing the moon, Jove & Saturn for a couple of hours before hand though :) 

3 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

Very nice. May I ask what software you used for the stacking?

Cheers, Magnus

Thanks Magnus.

I used Pixinsight. No darks, bias or flats. I can’t use the usual Image Integration though because of the lack of stars to align on, so I use the FFT Registration script which seems to work very well on the moon.

Also I used my equatorial platform so I had some basic tracking to keep the moon in the fov whilst imaging. 

Edited by Scooot
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scooot said:

Thanks Magnus.

I used Pixinsight. No darks, bias or flats. I can’t use the usual Image Integration though because of the lack of stars to align on, so I use the FFT Registration script which seems to work very well on the moon.

Also I used my equatorial platform so I had some basic tracking to keep the moon in the fov whilst imaging. 

Thanks. Yes there aren’t many alternatives when it comes to Lunar stacking. I’ve had a couple of very good results with FFT Registration in PI, but when I tried it on a load of quite noisy and hand-held (therefore significantly randomly rotated) eclipse pics it completely failed no matter how hard I tried. Autostakkert the same.

47 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

Thanks. Yes there aren’t many alternatives when it comes to Lunar stacking. I’ve had a couple of very good results with FFT Registration in PI, but when I tried it on a load of quite noisy and hand-held (therefore significantly randomly rotated) eclipse pics it completely failed no matter how hard I tried. Autostakkert the same.

Yes I tried it on some Jupiter images I took last night and it failed. Image scale was tiny of course and tracking poor on the platform. I guess it needs a reasonable amount of consistent data. Moon works when I use the eq platform.

Edited by Scooot