Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Blurry looking Jupiter

Last week I received my Skywatcher Mak 90/1250 which should provide crisp defined images. I know it's only 90 mm in aperture but what I saw was a blurry unrecognizable patch of light. Jupiter is low on the horizon and these are standard eyepieces plus the fact that the scope hadn't well adapted to the outside temperature. But is it even necessary at this time of the year when the outside temperature is approx. the same as the inside temperature ? Or are the standard eyepieces that bad ? Or does the scope needs a collimation (which I strongly doubt because a brand new Mak shouldn't need that ?). Is there a big difference between standard eyepieces and let's say a Super Plössl ?

Unfortunately, from mid-northern latitudes at sea level, objects at lower elevations will always be difficult. Our clearest skies, giving the best transparency are often spoiled by atmospheric turbulence. Cold crispy nights with beautiful twinkling stars being an example. 

The stillest air is often much less transparent. Summer high pressure systems with inversions retaining a layer of moisture and particulates often give poor contrast views near the horizon.

High elevation deserts are the best observing sites :)

On 08/09/2019 at 12:56, Ferre said:

Last week I received my Skywatcher Mak 90/1250 which should provide crisp defined images. I know it's only 90 mm in aperture but what I saw was a blurry unrecognizable patch of light. Jupiter is low on the horizon and these are standard eyepieces plus the fact that the scope hadn't well adapted to the outside temperature. But is it even necessary at this time of the year when the outside temperature is approx. the same as the inside temperature ? Or are the standard eyepieces that bad ? Or does the scope needs a collimation (which I strongly doubt because a brand new Mak shouldn't need that ?). Is there a big difference between standard eyepieces and let's say a Super Plössl ?

You must make sure the Mak is very well cooled or the images will be poor.

Once cooled do check collimation and for best results adjust if required.

Even with a perfectly cooled and collimated scope Jupiter and Saturn are very low at the moment so will not show much detail.

Mars is back next year and will be quite high......