SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M33 The Triangulum Galaxy in HaLRGB

eshy76

Hi everyone!

I've taken advantage of most of the clear nights recently, so after my recent M31, here is M33! 

This is my second capture of this beautiful spiral galaxy - last year's effort was one of my first with my mono camera...hopefully a year on, some improvement has been made in terms of capture skill and processing!

Captured with APT, pre-processed with APP and post-processed with Pixinsight. This is a heavy crop of the original image, which I will look to include in the next post.

6.9 hours total integration time using William Optics Z73 atop a iOptron CEM25P and the ZWO ASI1600 MM Pro camera + Astrodon filters.

Full details here

Thank you for looking!

41771679_M332019-08-26v1(crop2).png.f720e1902b0b280dcb9fbe4d00988eb8.png

• Like 18

Thank you all for the nice feedback so far! 

I am kind of torn between the crop and the full frame in terms of what I prefer, as you might have guessed...maybe leaning a bit more toward the full frame this morning!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Star101 said:

Very nice capture.

I was imaging this last night with the TS65Q. I would be pleased if mine was only half as nice as this.

Thank you very much! I think integration time has been key for me...spending an extra night or two on the same object seems to make a lot difference

• Like 1

Good capture, sensitively processed. It's very unusual for me to say this but, for me, you could bring in the black point just a tad more. I don't like an overly dark background sky at all but I think when it's as light as this you take a bit of drama out of the image.

Great stuff in any event.

Olly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

Good capture, sensitively processed. It's very unusual for me to say this but, for me, you could bring in the black point just a tad more. I don't like an overly dark background sky at all but I think when it's as light as this you take a bit of drama out of the image.

Great stuff in any event.

Olly

Thank you very much Olly! The previous iteration of this image had a darker background, but that also seemed to dim the immediate area around the galaxy too much...so I brought out the black point! I kind of agree with you, so it is probably a case of delicately adjusting the contrast with curves in PI (I'm a PI person).

What I really struggle with is differing brightness levels when processing - it might look good on my laptop or computer screen, but then seem too light/dark when looking again on SGL or Astrobin or on an iPad.

Feedback always appreciated!