Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can anybody tell me ??????????????????

supernova

Let me guess - your going to talk about the star of Bethlehem - possibly a supernova ( Type Ia/Ic Supernova in the Andromeda Galaxy ) or possibly a planetary conjunction ( Mars, Jupiter and Saturn ).

I did a fast bit of web reading to get that :D

No reliable supernova in history prior to the one in 185CE, near Alpha Centauri (recorded in China) which allegedly reached mag. -8. Are you sure you're not after the Jupiter-Saturn triple conjunction, supposedly around 6 BCE (although this is disputed)? :D:hello2::)

Appropriately, in Sky & Telescope Dec issue last page "Focal Point" Michael Molnar explains why there was not a "Star", but a event (and not necessarily celestial fireworks) which was highly significant to astrologers of the time and to them told of a new King.

Mike

This is nothing to do with religion, it is astro related :D

It could be the Jupiter-Saturn triple conjunction Have you got a link ? Pete.

Only wikipedia I'm afraid, a source you've no doubt already investigated...

EDIT: the animated screen shot illustrating Jupiter-Saturn, on the Wiki page, looks very much to me like it's a direct grab from Cartes du Ciel - but it carries no accreditation to CdC. Is this a breach of copyright - or at the very least, of etiquette? Should Wikipedia be alerted - or the author of CdC?

I'm not knowledgeable but is that the one from china were they reported it was so bright that they could still read at night. am sure it was on a program last weekend ' the universe' i think?

Sorry can't be more specific

Good luck

Andy

Nothing about a Supernova, but I recall reading or watching something that said the stra of Bethlehem was probably Jupiter moving around and then retrograde near Regulus. As it seemed to move away from and back towards the star (Regulus has got to have something to do with Kingly surely :D)

What about a comet Bernie?

I think I read somewhere that when Augustus added Imperator to his long list of titles there was a bright comet in the sky, signifying that Caesar (Julius, well dead by that point) was pleased with Augustus. That must have been pretty close to 6 BC, give or take a few years.

Sam

Archived