Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CEM60EC RA balance issue

souls33k3r

13 hours ago, JamesF said:

Is it not possible to rotate the entire counterweight assembly on the RA axis slightly, so the counterweight shaft is not in line with the DEC axis?  Given the design it looks like a logical thing to be able to do and would achieve the same effect as adding weight to one side of the counterweights.  More tricky to get right, perhaps.

James

I suppose that's one way to do it and I'm sure someone has tried this already. 

7 hours ago, Jkulin said:

Yep Ahmed, it was a piece of cake.

It was a little harder with the 120EC as I did have to think about that, but easily resolved with some threaded rod into the sides of the dovetails/weight bolt and then added washers to balance.

Weird, maybe my kit on the top is not central axis balanced after all then but you're right, once the threaded rod with washers went in (in to the counterweight hole), it was was fine afterwards. Not going to re-invent the wheel. :)

• 1 year later...

Is this balance issue a design flaw/fail?   Is it a combi of the scope being always “lower” because of the “z” shape of the axis, and minor level errors? The higher the altitude the bigger the problem. Or is it solved already in other parts of the design?

Edited by Robindonne