Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Magnifier - Star Charts

scarp15

If like me, you consult with your star charts during a deep sky session and require magnification to scrutinise and roam through the details, a magnifying glass can be a useful tool. However this can often become a frustrating task. my modest sized old glass magnifier will mist over and when straining to gaze at details using a dim red torch, there is a quite narrow view point, requiring much manoeuvring of this fairly heavy magnifier across the pages. I use a magnifying glass on dark sky trips, sometimes left and used in the car, sometimes kept on my compact camping table, thin ice may form on the cold glass lens, which is doubly frustrating because I also have to wear reading glasses.   

Well I thought that I would give this a go; Fancii Optics Jumbo Magnifier, a large 5.5" view finder, light and comfortable to hold with built in optional three LED's (would be feasible to nail varnish red) batteries not included. It has 2X 4X 10X built in lenses. It has a flat distortion free surface and with a lovely wide vision. My initial impression is that this is indeed distortion free, has sharp clarity of features and the broad vision will be highly beneficial when scanning across pages such as the Interstellarum atlas, it is also comfortable to hold. I am not so sure that I will use the lights and persevere with my dim one LED head torch, we'll see come this winter. I had tried a wider magnifier purchased from WH Smiths, which was promptly returned due to a wobblily distorted view. This model however has raving reviews, recommendations on-line and is on offer on Amazon for £15.99. There are numerous mostly positive accounts, critically based on my perspective, a reviewer who uses this for gauging fine detailing on Ordinance Survey Maps and highly recommends. As it is a resin and not glass surface, perhaps it will not mist over quite as abruptly. Anyhow it comes complete with a micro cloth and a cloth storage bag.

Therefore - if like me, you favour using paper charts when out stargazing and also just like me, have at times a memory like a sieve in so far as recollecting where each target will actually be when star-hopping, if you require a little magnification then this might be useful. Of course I am yet to trial this for real on a dark sky trip but would like to non the less share.

Also, assuming that if at times, you do not always or ever gain info from your phone or another device, good to hear how you get on / cope with paper charts such as in the depths of winter in the dark.

Here are a couple of pictures indicating size.

P1090514.JPG

P1090518.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Might give that a go Iain. I was trying to avoid using my phone the other night and just wanted to use the S&T Pocket Sky Atlas but I just couldn't see clearly enough. Perhaps a magnifier is the answer.

• Like 1

Here is a picture of the supplied manual, providing a bit more information. Also just worth pointing out that besides this extra large, there is also a size large 5" diameter.

P1090525.JPG

Edited by scarp15
  • Thanks 2

Just tried these out in my darkened back room, simulating as close as possible where I otherwise might be sat in the car. Projecting a dim red LED light, wow I am suitably impressed. I can see the text and features with good clarity across the page. When I remove the magnifying glass, (I am wearing reading glasses)  the text immediately becomes distorted. From this initial impression I think that this jumbo sized magnifier could be altogether very helpful to identify target locations a little quicker and easier. 

• Like 2