NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Collimation reports here

CAROLINE!!!! Point telescope at light, put in Cheshire EP and get to work with that screwdriver :):lol:

Tomorrow, you have my *cough* word... :)

Now despite having a little tickle in your throat that is a promise

Well I for one will need to know what to do as I will be picking my 8" SCT up at PSP2 so no real pressures folks but I need to know so I can use it whilst I am there in clear dark skies

Cheers thank you very much for all your help I really appreciate it Thanks once again I don't know how I would have coped without your help Cheers MODS

I can heartily recommend a set of "Bobs Knobs" to replace the allen key fitting collimation screws on SCT's. I have a set fitted to my Nexstar 5 and they make collimation much more straightforward - just routine really. I can't think why they are not fitted as standard - fiddling around with allen keys in the dark with you looking in one end while your hands reach round the front armed with a sharp metal object makes it so easy to damage the corrector plate.

John

North Somerset

Does anyone use a laser collimator, are they worth splashing out the £36.99 for? or is the method in MartinB's link the one. I don't think I have enough arms to collimate the scope while at the same time tracking a star and using the focus! As you can guess I have a steam powered scope, no electric drive motors anywhere.

Darron

Hi Darron. You have a reflector so collimation is a bit more involved than with the SCT. The good news is you don't have to do it at night. there are lots of articles on the web. I think this is a good one. You don't need a laser collimator but a Cheshire Eye Piece will be handy.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.scagell/collimate.html

I have used a Cheshire collimator for the last couple of years, and now find it very easy to do. Main principles are, do the secondary first, if necessary, and then the primary. Use only two of the three adjustting screws to get the light path centred.

I have been told that a laser collimator is not as accurate as a Cheshire, and many people tell me that they check the laser collimation with the Cheshire, afterwards. The Cheshire is so easy to use, I don't see the point in spending $100 more for a laser.

Archived