SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

MGEN-II

Hi,

Anyone using one, how do you find it ?

I'm interested in using one for my Fornax Lightrack II, Vixen AP-SM and maybe my HEQ5 Pro, more so on the portable mounts so I can go to darker sites without taking the HEQ5. The off axis kit for Canon DSLR looks good.

Thanks.

Hello SAW

I have the MGEN II since few years aleady and I love it, one of the best autoguiders I did ever use.. STANDALONE AUTOGUIDER! ⚠️. and since you mention you will use a CANON DSLR, the MGEN can even control your DSLR with the " AutoExposure function "

See the document for more details about MGEN,  https://teleskop-austria.at/information/pdf/MGEN_Manual_2-50.pdf

With the newest Firmware version of MGEN also POLAR ALIGNING is possible.. https://teleskop-austria.at/information/pdf/MGEN_Polar-Alignment-Quickguide-English_Manual_and_Anleitung_auf_deutsch.pdf

If you are interested in STANDLIONE AUTOGUIDERS⚠️, then have a look also to the newest product in the market based on ARTIFCIAL INTELLIGENCE, could also be interesting for you  https://staraid.ai/

"A stand-alone autoguider, automatic polar alignment tool and plate-solver in one"

Cheers

Martin

I read excellent things about the MGen, so I bought one for my widefield and portable rigs, haven't used it yet but has it all setup and ready to go.

I plan to give it a go around the end of September when I am up in Scotland.

• Like 1

Have used the MGEN for about 4 years now and can't fault it.  First on a little TS Star 71 and a DSLR and now in my obsey on NEQ6 with Takahashi 106, and Atik 460, mono.  Have it on 60mm guide scope.  Bought it from Teleskop Services.

Annie

• Like 1

I bought my MGen II off eBay a couple of years ago at an absolute bargain price but to be honest I have hardly used it. I did get it all working and it seemed to be pretty good on the times that I did try it out. I coupled up to the QHY miniGuideScope on my Avalon M-Zero mount.

I did briefly have an LVI Camera Smart Guider 2, but just couldn't get on with it. Compared to the MGen II it was severely lacking, especially when it comes to focusing as there's no "live view" like there is in the MGen II.

I bought both mainly so that I could go PC/Laptop free, but after getting a small Netbook and being able to run it for the entire night I have parked it for now. 

I do still intend on using it when I go on holiday to minimise the amount of things I need to carry so it will hopefully get some use in the future.

But to be honest I have been spoilt with fast Polemaster polar alignment and plate solving that is not possible with just the MGen II. Also reviewing images and doing quick stacks in PixInsight and APT makes me quite reluctant to change my current setup....plus PHD2 is so much easier to fault find.....

Of all the stand-alone guiders I found the MGen II to be well ahead of the rest (at a premium price).

• Like 1