NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Just seen Saturn

I first saw Saturn back in 1972 through a rickety 40mm telescope on a tabletop tripod,the image was poor and tiny and wobbled about but I managed to discern the the rings(luckily they were fully open at the time and Saturn was high in the sky). Of course over the years I seen it many times with good telescopes but I always most vividly remember the first view,that's the effect Saturn can have on you.

My first time seeing Saturn was at one of my friend's grand parent place in southern France. When we arrived we saw a mount and tripod but no scope... after lookinig for 3-4 days we finally saw the scope. I didn't know much about scope at the time but I think it was a good quality 102mm Apo refractor.

We took it out carefully, set it up (that EQ mount was so wierd. Obviously didn't know anything about polar allignment) and pointed that at Saturn (I had a feeling that that star was too bright to be just a star)... What a discovery, what a shock I had when I saw this tiny ball with rings... just amazing!

• Like 3

On 26/08/2019 at 00:37, Neiman said:

Blown away. Struggles to star align my scope once the night filled up with stars so had a go at Saturn instead. Turned a frustrating night into an absolute awesome Night. What a sight ! ! 

Beautiful isn't it.  I can still remember when and where I was when I first turned my scope towards it more than 30 years ago.

On 26/08/2019 at 00:37, Neiman said:

Blown away. Struggles to star align my scope once the night filled up with stars so had a go at Saturn instead. Turned a frustrating night into an absolute awesome Night. What a sight ! ! 

Beautiful isn't it.  I can still remember when and where I was when I first turned my scope towards it more than 30 years ago.

• Like 1

On 26/08/2019 at 22:14, Neiman said:

I’ve ordered a polar scope which I hope helps. I’ve got an app - think it’s called ‘planets’. This has really helped me navigate, but being totally new to this astronomy art, I struggled. It will get easier. I found Jupiter tonight and it was awesome. Just awesome.

thanks

neil

Hi Neiman,

I got my first sighting of Saturn for years the other day, always amazing! Hope you've got some more views since. 

One great book I always recommend for finding your way around the night sky via some really cool targets is: Binocular Highlights: 99 Celestial Sights for Binocular Users by Gary Seronik.

Now in its second edition, it's got some great objects to find with clear diagrams and interesting descriptions, it really helped me when starting to learn the sky and I still always have this book to hand. I realised it's aimed at Binocular Users but most things that look for in binoculars also look great through a small scope.

Clear skies

J

On 11/09/2019 at 07:35, Sky-J said:

Hi Neiman,

I got my first sighting of Saturn for years the other day, always amazing! Hope you've got some more views since. 

One great book I always recommend for finding your way around the night sky via some really cool targets is: Binocular Highlights: 99 Celestial Sights for Binocular Users by Gary Seronik.

Now in its second edition, it's got some great objects to find with clear diagrams and interesting descriptions, it really helped me when starting to learn the sky and I still always have this book to hand. I realised it's aimed at Binocular Users but most things that look for in binoculars also look great through a small scope.

Clear skies

J

Cheers J, I’ll have. A look for that.

Neil