Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

North America Nebula first night out

This was my first night out, giving everything a shake down since the teardown in May.  I carefully balanced everything on Sunday during the day, and started last night around 8:30pm.  Lots of software issues, connections issues, guidecam issues, several PC restarts.  Around 11pm I had it narrowed down to two faulty USB cables.  I have five new Lindy cables ordered.   I also set up a used 7-postition 2" filter wheel, but discovered it is too heavy for the focuser and even with the focuser not turning (motor fitted) the actual tube slides out.  I plan to strip and adjust this later.  Then as expected the cloud and mist rolled in and the moon rose, but I managed a couple of subs around midnight of NGC7000.  This is 2 x 300s with the Atik 383L+ luminance filter.

I belt modded the scope a few months ago, and this is the first time using it with the ED80s.  The complete setup weighs about 13.5kg.  The guiding is by far the best I've had ever so I hope it lasts and I get a good season of imaging.

Thanks for looking.

Adam.

NGC7000.jpg

PHD2-200819.jpg

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Wish my corner stars were that good!

That guiding profile looks real nice. Those stars are nice and tightly grouped! What have you done with your mount? I spent all day Saturday reading up about tuning, which bearings to order, which grease to use lol

I did the rowan belt mod. Previously I replaced the bearings with ones from the local motor factors (SKF) there were a couple of £ each. My head was wrecked deciding on grease. In the end I got some red stuff out of Halfords. The only thing that made a difference was the belt mod. 

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

I did the rowan belt mod. Previously I replaced the bearings with ones from the local motor factors (SKF) there were a couple of £ each. My head was wrecked deciding on grease. In the end I got some red stuff out of Halfords. The only thing that made a difference was the belt mod. 

That's exceptional guiding there. My AZEQ6 is already belt driven but I struggle to balance it. I can set the bar horizontal and put a weight anywhere on the bar without it moving significantly either way. Must be lubed with tar! I've been looking at all sorts of 608 bearings..SKF, hybrid ceramic skateboard bearings, full ceramic lol

7 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

That's exceptional guiding there. My AZEQ6 is already belt driven but I struggle to balance it. I can set the bar horizontal and put a weight anywhere on the bar without it moving significantly either way. Must be lubed with tar! I've been looking at all sorts of 608 bearings..SKF, hybrid ceramic skateboard bearings, full ceramic lol

My dec axis never moved freely.  So when I was doing the belt mod I sandpapered the inside the bell that goes over the big brass cog.  It moves freely now and is easier to balance.

We dont seem to be getting the same nice weather in N Ireland as those on the mainland.  I'll just continue to add to this thread, just as a progress record if nothing more.

I'm determined to get a good NGC6888 this year, after seeing all the great NB ones on here.

This is 4 x 600s (2 x 600s from Atik 383L Ha and 2 x 600s from QHY9 Sii).  I had planned on doing Ha in one scope and Oiii in the other, but I mixed up my filters, and I ended up with Ha and Sii.  I've fixed this now.  The sky hazed over and got cloudy, but all was working well with guiding of under 0.6".  One camera needs rotated slightly, but alignment seems good enough otherwise.

CS, thanks for looking.

Adam

St-avg-2400.0s-WSC_1_3.0-x_1.0_LZ3-NS-full-eq-add-sc_BWMV_nor-AA-RL-MBB10_2ndLNC_it3-St.jpg

• Like 1

I gathered new calibration data - I plan to run at -20degC this year.  With no chance of any clear skies, I've done this animation showing 30 mins of data - uncalibrated versus calibrated.  There is no doubt good calibration is essential.

CS

Adam

Calibation-comparison.thumb.gif.4678a155213603a7cf6b147e6d630d32.gif

• Like 2

Nothing like some usb issues to get you back in the groove. Plus ca change.

Your guiding looks great. I can tell you my AzEq6 is lagging behind you there.

Ref your corner stars there's very slight elongation. Unnoticeable until you mentioned it. I know it will bug you tho.🤪