Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

GRS Easily; Saturn; Then Cloud!

cloudsweeper

Just after 9pm, ED80 on GoTo - Jupiter low, west of south, aligned on that.  Galilean moons clear.

I wanted to compare the view with the 20mm TV Plossl Barlowed up (x2 ED Barlow) with the view through the 10mm Baader Hyperion.  (First lesson - remove one of the extension tubes to reach focus!)  Result: the Barlowed TV showed Jupiter's belts more clearly, and there was a hint of the GRS, almost dead centre.  Mag x48.

At x80 with the 6mm TV Radian, the GRS was very clear indeed at 9.30.  Using good EPs helps of course, but it's also a case of success increasing with experience.  (It took me ages to see the GRS for the first time, but now it's quite a common occurrence.)

I managed a tad more mag with the 5mm Cel XCel LX - still good.  But beyond that the poor seeing kicked in.

21.37 - Saturn, low, east of south - quick glimpse, with the 20mm TV, unBarlowed.  Soon afterwards, cloud thickened so the session ended.  But an "easy" GRS, and confirmation of the quality of view through the TV Plossl made it well worthwhile.

Doug.

• Like 5

Nice session Doug.

I didn't actually think you could view the GRS at such low power with an 80mm - but as you said, good EPs and experience help a lot - I guess the goto makes tracking a breeze too. 

Mark

Edited by mark81
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mark81 said:

Nice session Doug.

I didn't actually think you could view the GRS at such low power with an 80mm - but as you said, good EPs and experience help a lot - I guess the goto makes tracking a breeze too. 

Mark

Thanks Mark - yes, fracs are great for good contrast.  Another factor - sky not too dark.  Teasing detail out of a very bright planet is that much harder.

The 20mm TV Plossl has turned out to be a great purchase - it has cured me of the obsession for WA EPs.  And since it Barlows well to a 10mm, I'm spared the expense of a decent 10mm!

Doug.

Great report Doug

My first ever TeleVue eyepiece was a used 20mm Plossl, it certainly impressed me, I ended buying a whole range of TV Plossl’s, then moved onto Naglers which I like a lot.

The GRS does come with experience and of course correct timing in observing when it is in view, the short Jovian Day of course helps in this.

I've not looked at Jupiter much of late, but the GRS was very bright - about the most prominent feature on the disc last night. I was using a barlowed plossl also, in twilight conditions with a ST80 at 68x -  not the best for planetary views , but the image was fairly clean as the glare from the planet was reduced.  Quite a darkish tone to me.

andrew

• Like 1