NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

how often does the jupiter/venus/moon thing happen?

tenbyfifty

Fortunately we had a clear skies all day so I saw the Venus disappear and reappear.

Events like this all depends where you live, sometimes one end of the country will see it but not at the other. There was a lunar occulation of Venus in 2006 & 2007. The one tonight was prettier occuring in twilight and having Jupiter not far away.

The three objects will be grouped close together again on 14th Feb 2010, but will hard to see as they are close to the Sun.

Mike

Was too low and lost in clouds for me - but not to worry, occultations as such are quite common. There will be better opportunities.

Did a quick google of 'double occultation' and learnt to my surprise that there was such an event as little as ten years ago! Completely passed me by - mind you the area of visibility was rather out-of-the-way!

There was an occultation of Mars by Venus, it seems, in 1590, Venus occulted Mercury in 1737, and Venus will occult Jupiter in 2065. Worth waiting for, for those of you who are young enough!

That is a very good picture TBF. Everything is in there. Moon, Venus, Jupiter, and Earthshine on the moons darkside. Couldn't have done it better.

You could find out about future planetary conjunctions from any of the popular planetarium software packages. Just adavnce through the years, and make a note of the time date and year of the interesting ones.

Ron. :)

That is a very good picture TBF. Everything is in there. Moon, Venus, Jupiter, and Earthshine on the moons darkside. Couldn't have done it better.

You could find out about future planetary conjunctions from any of the popular planetarium software packages. Just adavnce through the years, and make a note of the time date and year of the interesting ones.

Ron. :)

Ta very much!! It was the first one I snapped, the camera just seemed to latch onto the moon,

the others I took were too blurry. Who needs Hubble!! LOL

Archived