NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

2 inch Eyepiece.

I have a Skywatcher 200P dob and would like to try a 2” eyepiece but I seem to remember that you can’t use it directly into the focuser. Could someone please tell me what I need.

Thanks in advance.

40 minutes ago, banjaxed said:

Thanks for your reply. My dob has a 2" focuser with a 2" to 1.25" adaptor. I seem to remember reading that a 2" eyepiece can not be fitted directly in to the focuser, or am I wrong ?

The skywatcher dobs come with a 1.25" adapter and a separate 2" adapter , so you need to find the second adapter and put that in the focuser instead of the 1.25" one when you switch to a 2" eyepiece. 

The design of the focus tube on the Skywatcher 200 was changed at some stage.

Current models do indeed have a 2" holder with a 1.25" adapter.

Earlier models though, (like my "blue tube" 200p), had a much more awkward bevelled fitting that only accepted 1.25" eyepieces.  When you removed that by loosening its thumbscrews, it revealed a non-standard opening of about 54mm with a step just inside that neither gripped 2" eyepieces, nor let them be inserted more than a few mm.

FLO sell a replacment fitting for these early 200p scopes that accepts 2" eyepieces (which Skywatcher should have fitted in the first place !!)

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/flo-compression-ring-adapter-for-skywatcher-newtonians-m54.html

It was also discussed here:

13 minutes ago, banjaxed said:

That explains o lot, thank you for your input. I have just sent a message to the person I bought it from in the hope he still has the original adaptor as mine is not the older model.

If that doesn't work, astroboot are probably your best bet. They sell parts salvaged from damaged telescopes so it's the sort of thing they might end up with. 

Alternatively, you could get an appropriately sized 2" Baader Clicklock and 2"-1.25" reducer, but that is a much more expensive option and if you're upgrading to clicklocks you might prefer to upgrade the focuser itself first.