NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observatory Shed Insulation

SyedT

Hi everyone,

I've invested in a simple equipment shed, whereby I'll be wheeling out equipment into the garden every time I need it, but it will live inside the shed. It's a wooden pressure-treated shed with overlap structure, no windows. I was looking to get some advice on the need for insulation, as I've seen differing advice online. Some say insulation should be installed, others say that it will cause a significant temperature gradient and trap heat etc.

Cheers

I think we'll need some more info, the least of which is where you live ??  and what equipment will be inside ? 

Are you planning to have the equipment assembled\ready to go, where you remove the shed from the equipment (roll away ?) or is it just going to be used for secure storage ??

5 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

I think we'll need some more info, the least of which is where you live ??  and what equipment will be inside ? 

Are you planning to have the equipment assembled\ready to go, where you remove the shed from the equipment (roll away ?) or is it just going to be used for secure storage ??

Thanks for your reply Julian. I'm based in the midlands in the UK. It will be a roll-away situation, I'm hoping to either have a dolly or trolley which I can use for this. Equipment will be telescope, camera, mount, filter wheel etc.

On 22/07/2019 at 17:27, StarDodger said:

Whatever you decide to do, just make sure there is loads of ventilation, then condensation won’t be a problem, no need to dehumidifiers or junk like that, just ventilate well, and all will be good...

Thanks, I'll ensure it's well ventilated. Any ideas about any specific flooring that's needed?

My observatory is just a wooden shed with a wooden floor.  No insulation just lots if ventilation.  If you want to stop it getting hot during the day a double skin is much better with a good space between the two roofs and walls. Adding insulation will delay cool down which may be the reverse of what you want. 

Regards Andrew 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SyedT said:

Thanks, I'll ensure it's well ventilated. Any ideas about any specific flooring that's needed?

As Long as there is plenty of ventilation then flooring not really  an issue, a lot of people seem to go for these click together rubberised tiles that are use for workshops, seems a really good option to me, and quite inexpensive.. :)