Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is this eyepiece set worth the upgarde?

So I stumbled upon the Baader Classic Eyepiece Set with Q Turret, 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/eyepiece-sets/baader-classic-eyepiece-set-with-turret.html

The content  of the set:

Baader 2.25X Q Barlow
Classic Ortho 6mm
Classic Ortho 10mm
Classic Ortho 18mm
Classic Plossl 32mm
Q-Turret quad eyepiece revolver
Baader Astro Box

What I currently own:

- Standard SkyWatcher 25 mm EP and the 10mm EP

-Standard SW 2X barrlow (which i hear is good?)

- The 5mm Celestron X-Cel LX EP

I'm not familiar with quality of EPs, and have a weak background in this subject. I'm considering the set but not sure if they are worth the price?

I currently use the SW 130 EQ2, but considering the SW 250 Flextube dob, which is F 4.7, are the Badeer sets good enough for the F 4.7 telescope?

Edited by PlanetGazer

I looked through them using 150mm f5 Newtonian and they worked perfectly.

I would get 32mm, 18mm and 10mm and barlow. You already have 5mm eyepiece and if you get 6mm one of them would be redundant - depends on the scope really. The 6mm is very tight and might be difficult to use.

It is a very nice set, usable in many scopes. I especially like the 18mm. Somehow it very clear and comfortable.

baaderbox.jpg

• Like 1

On 21/07/2019 at 22:20, heliumstar said:

I looked through them using 150mm f5 Newtonian and they worked perfectly.

I would get 32mm, 18mm and 10mm and barlow. You already have 5mm eyepiece and if you get 6mm one of them would be redundant - depends on the scope really. The 6mm is very tight and might be difficult to use.

It is a very nice set, usable in many scopes. I especially like the 18mm. Somehow it very clear and comfortable.

baaderbox.jpg

Thanks for the feedback

As for the 6mm I agree it's redundant, but could be better with a Barlow than the 5 mm I already have? though It will be cheaper to buy the whole set than get the pieces and turret individually

Barlowing the 6mm with Baader 2.25x barlow will get you down to 2.7mm. Is that something you need?

Turret is a nice addition but I rarely used it.

I would also check amazon.co.uk for these eyepieces ;) Sometimes they can be had for as low as 32 GBP.

Edited by heliumstar
spelling
  • Like 1

On 23/07/2019 at 14:35, heliumstar said:

Barlowing the 6mm with Baader 2.25x barlow will get you down to 2.7mm. Is that something you need?

Turret is a nice addition but I rarely used it.

I would also check amazon.co.uk for these eyepieces ;) Sometimes they can be had for as low as 32 GBP.

not planing to use this magnification on my current scope. I just ordered a 10 inch dob :D  and will give this magnification a go. though a Barlow is always welcomed, specially when it has a different magnification magnitude (2.25), could be combined with the 18mm & 32mm , to give "equivalent" eyepiece powers that I don't have (8 & 14 )

On 23/07/2019 at 19:18, Ricochet said:

Be aware that using the turret requires about 35mm of focuser in travel. With the 130/eq2 I doubt that you have that much available. 

Thanks for the heads up, will use it on a bigger scope.

On 23/07/2019 at 19:32, John said:

I reviewed the eyepieces, but not the turret, a while back. Link on FLO's website here:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/blog/baader-classic-ortho-plossl-review.html

They are pretty high quality optically but I think the turret might pose some problems with the scopes you own because of lack of focuser travel.

Thank you John, a well informative review!

• Thanks 1