Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pickering's triangle bi-colour - 16hrs exposure

pietervdv

Hello all,

It's been kind of slow on the imaging front the last year; however during the last 2 weeks I gathered some data on the Pickering's triangle. It's a 2 pane mosaic; totaling 16 hrs of exposure time. It is my first bi-colour image, so go easy...

I made some 100% crops that show some interesting details. No major post processing, just levels and curves and combining the channels.

Equipment: Homebuilt 10" f/3.8 Astrograph with Wynne corrector

Sensor: ASI-1600MM-cool cmos -10°C

Exposure: 16 hrs (5 min subs)

Filters: Astrodon 5 nm H-alpha / Baader 4,5nm OIII

Channels assembled as HA:O3:O3

Thanks for checking it out,

Regards,

Pieter

veil_bicolour_post.jpg

veil_bicolour_detail2.jpg

veil_bicolour_detail.jpg

Edited by pietervdv
  • Like 14

Oh yes, I do like that, works well in HOO.

As an aside, how are you finding the Baader 4.5nm [OIII] filter? I've been thinking about the "enforced" series of NB filters for a new wheel, as I cannot afford Astrodons in 2" size (Or any size for that matter)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Adreneline said:

Very nice Pieter - excellent result.

I would be very interested to know the gain and offset you used on the 1600; I have one myself and I am still very much at the experimenting stage.

Adrian

Thanks! I have it set at the unity Gain setting. Seems to work well for me, never tried any other settings. 

6 hours ago, DaveS said:

Oh yes, I do like that, works well in HOO.

As an aside, how are you finding the Baader 4.5nm [OIII] filter? I've been thinking about the "enforced" series of NB filters for a new wheel, as I cannot afford Astrodons in 2" size (Or any size for that matter)

Thanks! I like the filter very much, I had a Baader 8,5nm o3 in the past and this one is a huge improvement. I still need to do some more testing, but I have seen some halos around very bright stars. A fault that plagued their old o3 filter. 

Pieter