NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Viewing Jupiter's moons

43 minutes ago, bluesilver said:

I realise the 10 inch Dobsonian i a great telescope,  but i am thinking they are more suited to deep space viewing instead.

I've only got an 8" Dobsonian and am in the UK I got a great view - two stripes and four moons about 4 weeks ago - I'd love to view the planets through a 10" - you shouldn't have any problems IMO

Appreciate the replies and advice,

I think the first step now after re reviewing the posts,  is to get an artificial star and do a collimation test that way first.

I think it is collimated pretty good,  but think i will give one of these artificial star tests a go,  at least it will be easier than in the dark to see if i am way off.

14 hours ago, Geoff Barnes said:

Are you absolutely sure your Dob is perfectly collimated? As others have said, it is absolutely capable of resolving Jupiter's moons as tiny discs. Using your 5mm eyepiece you should carry out a star test on a bright star (say Becrux in the Southern Cross) and follow these instructions from Gary Seronik (apologies if you've already done this)….

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:N-pi-KfT2OkJ:https://garyseronik.com/no-tools-telescope-collimation/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au

I do this before every viewing session to ensure collimation and it literally only takes a minute or two.

Bluesilver 

You tried any other DSO's

You should be able to make out Jewel Box in Southern Cross as well, to verify if your scope is collimated correctly

Saturn is currently rising just after sunset, and should be able to see the rings on that clearly

As stated previously, I use a 17mm wideangle eyepiece, viewing Jupiter and Saturn, and can see up to 7 moons around Jupiter on occasions 

Never viewed from southern states

I use HeavensAbove, as a guide as well, and you can also download the App

The attached link is set for Goldcoast, and update your own location, prior to saying to your favourites

https://www.heavens-above.com/skychart2.aspx?lat=-27.92023&lng=153.29898&loc=Oxenford&alt=0&tz=UCTm10

You should also be easily able to find Antares, withing Scorpio, as almost overhead as well

Within Scorpio you have  M80 and M4 adjacent to Antares, and M6 and M7, adjacent to the tail

https://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/scorpius-heres-your-constellation

If you both make it up this way, only too happy catch up for a viewing night

The attached, I took about an month ago, as leaving home, around 4-30am for work

Was crescent moon,  unfortunately Android phone camera, do not like poor light conditions, with conjunction of Venus and Jupiter   

John

Conjunction Venus and Moon.jpg

8 minutes ago, cletrac1922 said:

...As stated previously, I use a 17mm wideangle eyepiece, viewing Jupiter and Saturn, and can see up to 7 moons around Jupiter on occasions ....

Well, 4 moons at Jupiter. More at Saturn of course :smiley:

• Like 1

On 09/07/2019 at 17:31, bluesilver said:

Thanks for the reply,  appreciated.

Yes very good seeing conditions for the planet here

Sounds like i might have to tweak the collimation a tad,  I thought it was fairly good.

I do pick up 4 moons, they stand out very clearly,  but only as bright stars,  definitely no distinct shape or colour to say they are not moons.

I thought the larger aperture would help bring them out more clearly.

Bluesilver and Geoff

Not sure what scouts groups you have adjacent to where you live

Goldcoast/Logan region has 16 groups, and I do Space badge for Joey's and Cubs

Couple of weeks ago, did a Cubs camp, at Canungra camp site, and 150 kids

Saturday afternoon did solar viewing, and that night did DSO, had Jupiter as well

Find attached copy of Space Badge, I put together several years ago, with help of couple of group leaders

The solar system doc, print out on A3, and laminate

I get group leader or a parent be the Sun

Step out 2 paces for Mercury, another two paces for Venus, same for Earth, Mars four paces

Get the kids to tell you next planet, and get them to hold up the poster

For Space Badge, kids have to make a model of our solar system. Use them as solar system

Find it very rewarding, and I also talk on Indigenous Astronomy as well, which goes back over 40,000 years

Make yourself know to groups in your location, and have fun

The kids want to learn

John 

Space Badge.docx Solar System.docx

I have been struggling to find DSOs,  it is just going to come down to practice i think as we don't really have any clubs of the sort anywhere close around here.

I use the app, skysafari and seams to work ok for me so far.