Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

FSQ106 coma?

I finally got a chance to test my scope with full frame, and it looks like there is some coma or something. Here is an aberration spotter image...

coma.thumb.jpg.113b9cc16c4da90ed8808796a5e8df96.jpg

The brighter stars have spikes also. Does anyone know what this is, or is this normal?

Thanks

I had allot of trouble with mine--Things I considered

1) spacing

2) tilt

3) collimation

If the stars are deformed toward (or away) from the center in the corners--it is likely spacing.  Tilt of coma would be the same direction across the FOV.  In the end, I sent my scope to TNR and they told me it was miscollimated and they recollimated it.  Even though it passed a star test.  I took a picture of a star and the diffraction rings were concentric and not distorted.  But the test is no where near as accurate as the bench test they do with a laser.  Don't settle.  If it ain't right--it ain't right. People told me that it was so minor that most said they wouldn't bother.  But it ate away at me.  I know it is terrible, but send it in to get fixed.  Was it new--so under warranty?  they like to say that collimation is not covered, but I argued that if a scope arrives new and it is not collimnated--it definitely should be covered--I won that one and they did not charge me except shipping.  They will let you pay using the company account so it will be cheaper--and insured.

I always found that the final images looked much better--you could still see the stars but after integration and channel combination they were much less obvious.  Definitely possible to live with (not for me though). 

Unfortunately, I can't report on the success of the adventure as the scope is still in the box.  But they did a star test and said it was dead on now, so I am not too worried.  I am having too much fun with the TOA right now to make the switch-the FOV will call me though when the big nebulae come back around.

Anyway Hunter-Good luck.  having been there I do not envy your position. 

Rodd

I m having issues with mine, but they are different to your problems.

The stars look pinched and distorted. I wonder is something too tight, or maybe a part protruding into the light path?

Do you have a reducer in the path etc..?

The light houses are familiar with the N version, I dont know which one your is. I dont see those lighthouses around the ED versions though.

Tom

Thanks, Rodd and Tom.

It turns out that the adapter I was using was not suitable for a 43 mm sensor. The adapter extended into about 3mm of the light path causing the strange spikes, vignetting, and possibly the pinched stars. Anyway, I have switched back to my ZWO sensor and the stars are perfect. I'm going to stack some images and keep looking...

• Like 1

I get this problem too when I am using the reducer - implying the spacing I have is not quite correct.  Without the reducer it is perfect.   TBH, with so few clear nights in UK, I am abandoning using the FSQ reducer and I am going to sell it and the adapters.

For wide field I have moved to Samyang lenses.

On 03/07/2019 at 16:24, HunterHarling said:

Thanks, Rodd and Tom.

It turns out that the adapter I was using was not suitable for a 43 mm sensor. The adapter extended into about 3mm of the light path causing the strange spikes, vignetting, and possibly the pinched stars. Anyway, I have switched back to my ZWO sensor and the stars are perfect. I'm going to stack some images and keep looking...

See....spacing!!!  I wish that was my problem.  Oh well--all fixed now (I hope).  Full frame must be a dream.  That's teh one advantage of a DSLR--

Rodd