Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Connection problems

Good evening stargazers! I'm having some troubles connecting my HEQ5 to my PC...

I recently bought an ethernet to USB adapter, the usual RJ45-USB, and i was hoping it would work to connect my mount to the ASCOM platform, just as it did for my NEQ6. Unfortunately, though, my PC recognizes the RJ45-converter-USB assembly simply as a "network card", so the ASCOM toolbox doesn't recognize it as a COM port. I basically connected the controller handset cable (RJ45) to the adapter, the adapter to a USB extension and the extension to the computer...Is there any way i can still connect the mount to the PC using this same adapter?

Also, my PC has a RJ45 port, can i connect the mount directly to it?

I'm surprised that a generic ethernet-usb would work. You should only connect the mount to the computer using the recommended methods ie through the handset using the serial data cable or a purposely designed cable. The ethernet socket on your laptop is not a suitable method to connect the mount to pc.

You need one of these - dont be tempted by similar ones at a slightly lower price - this one has a genuine FTDI chip - anything else will just give you grief.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq5-pro-heq5-syntrek-pro-az-eq5-gt-az-eq6-gt-and-eq8-mounts.html

The RJ45 connection on the mount is a serial connection NOT AN ETHERNET ONE.....yes it has an RJ45 plug but it is not an Ethernet /network connection.

Your adapter is expecting to connect to an Ethernet connection and will not work.

use the recommendation above ( or similar eqdir adapter ) and it will be recognised as a com port and be fine.