Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observatory tents

Never used one myself, but I have set up tarpaulins (of the type that are made of the same material as normal tents) which I found to be very good for imaging in higher wind conditions, greatly reducing the vibration - a lot cheaper than one of these, but does require more fiddling (I guess) to set it up.

• Like 1

In that case, a tent would probably be the way to go. There's a write-up of one here, and it would appear that (as long as you don't overdo it) they seem reasonably weather-proof. And, compared to the price of some other astro-accessories, it shouldn't break the bank [says I spending your money!]

• Thanks 1

I had one last year that was included with a secondhand telescope that I bought.

It was the one at the top in this youtube search - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tent+observatory

It was quite well made, just like a medium size igloo tent with the springy interlocking fibreglass poles.  Quite large really.

I sold it though because my garden is quite small (but beautifully non light polluted 🤓) so I don't go to dark sites or events.

I would imagine it would be very handy at events, especially if there's a bit of  a chilly breeze.  The circular "missing" roof was just the right height and size to swing most scopes, whether eq mounted or even Dobs.

If I can't eventually aspire to a small dome like my Avatar  😍, I may try a beach type windbreak instead, which would have a smaller footprint and be quicker to set up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can get a so-called  "toilet-tent"    ( used for camping )    that some people use for protecting scopes over a night or so.

They do not have a detachable top   ( thank goodness !!)   but are light and free-standing and can be put over your kit in seconds.

Maybe best not getting a used one ......

Here is the type of thing.....

Image result for toilet tent

I bought a dedicated observatory tent, and have to say I was not impressed. It was okay once set up, but the construction was very flimsy. The design was really poor, putting way too much pressure on the fibreglass poles. It broke the second time I set it up and was swiftly moved to the bin. Not one of my better investments :( Personally, I'd stay clear of something marketed as an observatory tent unless I'd actually seen it with my own eyes.

Billy.

• Thanks 1