Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2019 Jupiter Opposition

I'm taking baby steps toward getting better images. After a very poor attempt in May (which was too embarrassing to share here), I figured Jupiter's opposition would give me a nice opportunity for a do-over. Are there any filters that will help bring out richer colors? Also, I just noticed how bad these look when enlarged. How do I post them in a smaller size?

Equipment: 8" f/5.9 reflector, 6mm Celestron Omni Plössl eyepiece, Samsung Galaxy S7 camera

jupiter_ISO_100_exp_30inv.jpg.ed74a3ab936baea14ee9a5b00013a64a.jpg

ISO 100, Exp. 1/30 s

jupiter_ISO_64_exp_180inv.jpg.63805ea827d576bd9fb2e910df4f9614.jpg

ISO 64, Exp. 1/180 s

jupiter_ISO_80_exp_180inv.jpg.36e7191ae6ad9c39db1553c729c559a7.jpg

ISO 80, Exp. 1/180 s

Edited by Beltalowda
  • Like 2

I'm only using a cellphone and don't have a tracking mount, but I still feel like maybe I can squeeze more out of the setup if I knew what I was doing.

For example, my profile picture was taken during the lunar eclipse with the same camera and turned out pretty well:

But I tried to image the Orion nebula and was too ashamed of the result to share it, until now:

1651657089_OrionNebula.thumb.jpg.cc13f09e1a82fd7d98c9d02077d9d676.jpg

I realize the moon is low hanging fruit, but I feel like I should be able to get better nebula pictures.

Edited by Beltalowda
  • Like 1

I took the liberty of desaturating and fine tuning your image using "Snapseed" for Android, not bad at all for a single frame smartphone capture and you seem to have the drift method down quite well. I think they like us to post smartphone images in that section so this post might be moved by an administrator but none the less you did well like I said...

My advice to move forward with babystepping smartphone imaging would be to add a cheap infra red blocking filter to your imaging train if you aren't using one already. I found for planets and moon this tightens up the sharpness of smartphone images of those objects considerably. It also works for solar smartphone imaging just be sure to have the proper solar filter in place in addition to the infra red filter and be sure to research solar observing before attemping it, there are some very good threads here on SGL describing well the do's and don'ts of solar observation.

Best of Luck and Clear Skies Everyone!

Freddie...

jupiter_ISO_100_exp_30inv.jpg.ed74a3ab936baea14ee9a5b00013a64a-01.jpeg

Edited by SIDO
  • Like 1

So you know just what you have captured I added this graphic, to post your image in a wider field post process would require merging in onto a black background via Snapseed or other capable software or application. Pre process a wider field eyepiece or less magnification would suffice...

D8w5JiyVUAErlaG.jpeg

Edited by SIDO

Without knowing SIDO had done this in Snapseed, I did a similar thing using PS Express. Processing can make a big difference to images, so long as you have your focus sharp and exposure correct, mainly ensuring no parts are over exposed.

Your image is actually very good! Keep trying on different nights so you increase your chance of good seeing. Take lots of shots and pick the sharpest, that's a sort if manual way of 'lucky imaging'.

I'm attaching my best shot through a 4" scope. A bit of shake, but it was handheld at the eyepiece 🤣🤣. It does show a shadow transit though.

PSX_20190613_113941.jpg

PSX_20190611_171822.jpg

• Like 1

Ok I'll throw in too, f/6 8" Dobsonian 8/12/2018 2:32am LGL62V smartphone...

I used "Open Camera" in burst mode and selected the best image for processing in Snapseed.

Had the image handy on my ☎ so thought to share some more / haven't clicked an image this year yet with my ☎ but have been observing Jupiter with my eaa rig weather permitting and it isent permitting much...

DSC_2040_1534050795477-01.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Beltalowda said:

By the way, I actually have no idea what the drift method is.

Observing or Imaging without a tracking mount...