NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

noctilucent clouds predicted for the 2nd/3rd June

According to http://www.spaceweather.com/ a possible display noctilucent clouds is predicted for the 2nd/3rd June. Due to spinning nature around the polar region of the current clouds, they are predicting their return to European skies this weekend.

It would be easily my earliest view of the year by over a month!

Edited by Pete Presland
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Would these be noctilucent clouds, pictures were taken this morning at 0230 facing northerly direction. I’m unsure as I’ve only recently learned of their existence and never looked for them before  

Rgds

5EDC802A-74BF-475D-B3E8-C24E7FE991B5.jpeg

095F78B9-97EE-4D2E-9208-9DEA3A3EB5F0.jpeg

Edited by Andy R
Spelling
  • Like 2

Oh excellent, first real clear night last night for many a week and was surprised how light it was even after the moon had set. it’s a shame I only have my phone as a camera and not a dslr. Worth staying up for thou. 

Thanks

Andy

They look like them to me as well Andy, as Geoff said they have been spotted at some very low southern altitudes this year already.

I hade a reasonable view on Saturday night/ Sunday morning as well. Not quite extensive enough to make me want to drive out away from the town yet though.

• Thanks 1

There were some silvery-blue wisps on the Eastern Horizon(?!?) last night
at around 3.a.m. Not sure if those were they? Sadly I didn't take a photo... 🤔
Not too many opportunities to check this out over the next few days tho!

Edited by Macavity

12 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

Not quite extensive enough to make me want to drive out away from the town yet though.

I will be walking  up the hill on the left of the picture next time for hopefully unopposed views. 

• Like 1

The forecast looks grim for a while, not sure about seeing them in the East or not. I have seen a display so extensive though it looked like it want all the way from west to east. This was a few years ago and they were very high up from the horizon.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Macavity said:

Not too many opportunities to check this out over the next few days tho!

Tut tut looks like rain, forecasted for the next 9 days for me 🙁

• Sad 1

I managed to look out of our loft room window ove the last few nights. Looking north east there were very bright clouds. I just thought that this was light pollution reflecting on the underside of these clouds. But then remembered that this direction was almost opposite to London. They did look erie.