NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hunting down the Super Novae + Canes Venatici delights

Okay well Astro darkness has gone but last night was my first opportunity to try and observe the SN in NGC 5353.

I set up the 12" Dob together with my 80mm finderscope and started about 11pm to try and view DSOs. I started with the Sunflower galaxy (M63) which was a fine sight in the 13mm Ethos. 

I moved to over to the group of galaxies forming Hickson 68 and NGC 5353, 5354 and 5350 were all very clear. I tried all sorts of EPs and magnifications but I could not detect the SN even though I knew its location. I compared several nearby stars in the 13+ mag area but no go. I tried several times during the course of the observing period (finished at 1.30am) but could not see the SN. I would be interested to know its current mag.

Anyway still enjoying the very clear night I moved over to NGC 5371. Moved back to Cor Caroli and picked up NGC 5033 and 5005. Went the other end to Chara to view NGC 4490 (Cocoon Galaxy) and 4485.

Several years ago I spent a wonderful observing night with @Johnat an SGL star party at Lucksall. Two objects that I enjoyed observing at the time was NGC 4631 (Whale Galaxy) and NGC 4656 (Hockey Stick). Last night they were very clear in the 13mm Ethos.

I decided to end the night with M51 and I started to see faint spiral arms structure. The 13mm Ethos really shows it well.

I too spent a very enjoyable night in Buxton with Nick who pointed out the whale and hockey stick and another target which as far as I can remember is the furthest we can see. Nick was happy as he had only ever seen once or twice, 

Over to you Nick fill in the object, the night my 8" hit every target which made a change.

Great report not sure whether I can see some of them in my 5" Refractor but I will try when I get a decent night.

Not to worry. Hickson 68 is a pleasing sight in its own right. The SN must be fading. You would have got it at 13.2 if you could clearly see three members of the galaxy group.

Paul

Great report Mark !

I was going to try for the SN tonight with my 130mm refractor but I suspect that might be frutless with the thin cloud and if the SN has faded now.

It's good to end a session with a relatively easy target rather than some search that does not quite work out - it maintains a positive outlook for the next session I think :smiley:

Archived