Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Antoine1997

Trying to control a Virtuoso Sky watcher Mount using Matlab without the Synscan controller

I've made a serial connection with my pc and my Virtuoso and i'm trying to send commands to my mount via Matlab without passing trough a Synscan controller but I'm not sure if it is do-able. I found the communication protocol of the Synscan (attached). Can I use it to send the same commands on a serial port directly connected to my mount ?

SkyWatcher instruction user Manual SynScan Serial Communication Protocol.pdf

Synscan protocol REQUIRES connection to the Synscan controller. You can’t direct control the Virtuoso iirc.

On 16/05/2019 at 04:23, Antoine1997 said:

I've made a serial connection with my pc and my Virtuoso and i'm trying to send commands to my mount via Matlab without passing trough a Synscan controller but I'm not sure if it is do-able. I found the communication protocol of the Synscan (attached). Can I use it to send the same commands on a serial port directly connected to my mount ?

SkyWatcher instruction user Manual SynScan Serial Communication Protocol.pdf 686.51 kB · 10 downloads

Re: send commands to my mount via Matlab without passing trough a Synscan controller but I'm not sure if it is do-able.

Brave man!

You can do anything with MATLAB and Simulink ( https://au.mathworks.com/products/simulink.html ) How much cash have you got ? These mathworks chaps charge like a "wounded bull" !

Have you seen the open source approximation to MATLAB called OCTAVE ?

Jeremy.

Responding in case someone stumbles upon this topic and now that I know much more on this:

Stupid me looked at the wrong protocol.

The protocol I posted earlier allows to communicate with the Synscan. As I don't have a Synscan I only need to drive the motors according to the data sheet attached.

Typical communication protocol is :

REQUEST: ':1F<data>

'                     (String which always begin with ':' and end with a carriage return)

RESPONSE '=<data>

'                     (String which always begin with '=' or '!' in case of an error and end with a carriage return)

Fortunately, it's a scholar project so I can work with Matlab as it is provided. But I'm 99% sure it will indeed also work with open source equivalent such as Scilab or Octave as it is a simple serial communication :)

skywatcher_motor_controller_command_set.pdf

Edited by Antoine1997

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By alex_stars
      Hi All,
      I thought I report on an issue I recently faced with my Celestron AVX mount that features the new dual saddle plate. The plate takes two standards of dovetails, the narrow CG-5 dovetails and wider CGE. Most people know the CG-5 as a "Vixen Style" dovetail and the CGE is Celestron's version of a 3" (but not compatible with a Losmandy) dovetail.
      Now the issue. I own a 7" Mak (Skymax 180 from SW) which has a classical Vixen-Style dovetail. When you try to clamp the 7" Mak to the AVX, the saddle plate clamp does not really fit.  Interestingly the 7" Mak has too large of a diameter to fit the AVX saddle, which comes to a surprise, given that a C8 or a C9.25 are popular choices for that mount.

As you can see on image, on the left side, the clamp rests on the OTA and the dovetail does not touch the clamp on the bottom. When you tighten the fixing screws, tension is built up between the clamp and the OTA and not between the clamp and the dovetail. In addition this makes it quite harder to balance the OTA on the mount (the clamp-tube jams). In the end the OTA will get a dent at that location, I guess. Luckily I caught this right a way and my OTA is not yet damaged.
      Anyhow for some this might not be an issue, but I changed the AVX clamp and now use an aftermarket clamp from ADM.
      Thought I share this with the community as this might be interesting for some.
      Clear skies
      Alex
    • By laks20
      Hi
      I own a Skywatcher SynScan 130P Explorer but I find it does not take good astro images and now I hardly use it  which is really sad and with some money coming in the next few months I want to sell it and buy another good scope to support taking pics of the night sky. 
      Well, my question and I need  advice : Since I am really enjoying photographing the night sky at the moment, I am using my Canon 70 D on a good tripod with Samyung 14mm or Tokina 11- 14mm. I have got some ok pics from this of the Milky Way but I am not greatly  satisfied with the results much. As an upgrade, I am keen on buying a star tracker  and a astro modified camera( or something similar to this ). (I want to kick myself as I sold my Canon 450D two years ago for £100) Do you think I should ?  Is this useful ? Can I use the Star tracker with my canon 70D? Also, If I get the star tracker will a astro modified camera help me take better pics. I have seen some stuff on You tube , but I am confused. Also , If I buy another scope will I be able to use the modified camera with that ?
      Sorry for asking so many questions. 
    • By Julessilver
      Hi SGL forum.
      I currently have a HEQ5 Pro mount which I am just about to attach an Astroberry to for normal astro pics etc. 
      However I am really interested in sticking a normal camera and wideish lens to do some wide field panoramic milky way shots and stitch them together. 
      So mt question is have any of you ever seen anything that will drive the mount to do a patchwork of shots automatically?

• By Rogr18
      Hi, 
      Sorry if this has already been asked ( I think it would have been, there are posts similar but can't see the the answer I'm looking for) 
      I have a celestron C8-N scope that came with a Cg5 mount,  it's at least 10 years old and although it had a lot of use to start with it's been gathering dust the last few years. 
      So I would like to fit a motorised goto mount to it and was considering a synscan  pro3 for an Eq5 mount. 
      Can someone tell me are these 2 mounts the same and if so will the synscan be OK for my Cg5 mount. 
      If not are there any others I should look at? 
      Thanks
    • By matthasboldlygone
      Hi all,
      Got bored during lockdown and purchased a telescope. It's a Bresser Refractor Telescope AR-102/600 EQ-3 with mount and tripod from Amazon for about £280. I've been enjoying it and added a Bresser Full HD Deep-Sky Camera to it so I could share some images. Not really sure what I wanted to look at and feel I may have bought the wrong things, but hey I'm having fun.
      I've been looking to get the mount motorised (RA) and spent much time looking at all the options.
      As a beginner I'm now thinking why not just jump in and get a computerised mount with all the features built in by experts.
      I found the Explore Scientific EXOS-2 PMC-Eight GOTO Mount on BresserUK for about £600, twice what I paid for my entire setup so far. But thinking the mount is very important, no matter how good the scope is a bad mount is going to make things hard. Working from the ground up so to speak.
      I'd like to get into stacking some images of the planets, moon, maybe some general stary shots and even something nebula like.
      Would you say this is a good purchase considering the scope and camera I have? A good starting point for building a better setup over time?
      And if I changed my mind later on, it would have a good resale value?
      Cheers 👍

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.