Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

One more from last night - Starwave 102 F11

CraigT82

Another from from last night's lovely session on the moon, again using the Starwave 102mm F11 achro and samsung galaxy S8 (through,  IIRC, a barlowed 8m BST = x280).

Montes appeninnus region, with sections of the Hadley Rille just about visible.

I've cropped, rotated, desaturated and generally tweaked this one on phone in the snapseed app.

As with most of my phone images the corners are soft, however this is due to the phone's chip not being properly square to the exit pupil, as this is hard to achieve even with a phone holder.

Last night was the first real test of the Starwave since I've owned it.  I'm very impressed with it's high mag performance, getting up to almost 100x per inch without softening too much. At this kind of power there is a faint violet 'wash' over the whiter parts of the moon (worst on the southern uplands) but this isn't objectionable (for me) and is easy to tune out whilst viewing. At lower mags the false colour is only really visible at the limb as a faint violet fringe (I don't spend much time looking at the limb anyway!). For a relatively cheap achro it is a very capable instrument.

20190512_220939-03.jpeg

• Like 12

• 4 months later...