Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion Rolled Tube Rings

I'm currently looking into ways of mounting my dew controller/minipc plate onto my SW Skymax 180 for planetary imaging.  I currently use it on my DSO imaging rig, mounting on a second dove tail bar, but I can't do this on my Skymax because it only has one dovetail bar, which is screwed onto the tube. 

My current thinking is to replace this dovetail with tube rings which will allow me to add a second dovetail bar.  The only place I can find rings that come even close to the 219mm tube diameter (outside of custom made expensive ones) are https://www.orionoptics.co.uk/ACCESSORIES/tuberingsa.html#rolled

My questions are:

- Does anyone have experience with these rings?  Is it possible to screw the standard SW dovetail bar to them?

- If so, would I need to fill the holes left behind by the screwed on bar?

Other suggestions are welcome

As the rings are made to order it takes a few weeks for them to arrive.

To attach the dovetail bar drill a hole in the right place in each ring and countersink the hole on the inside. Use M6 stainless countersunk head bolts. I also used domed nuts on the outside because it looked better but regular nuts will do. I used a Skywatcher medium length dovetail bar.

You will have to remove the front of the scope to get at little plates and nuts on the bolts holding the dovetail on. I just covered the outside of the holes with little squares of black vinyl. .

I fitted a handle from WDS Ltd. i chose this particular handle as it can be shortened to the right length.

http://www.wdsltd.co.uk/product/3844/tubed-handle-front-mounted-black-wds-8517/

John

BBDAFDD6-D98B-4D61-A393-9ED9D51C4111.jpeg

5235EACA-3ABD-4321-9E67-310C1341A2DB.jpeg

2B6C08A9-76E8-409B-A07B-BA9676070A97.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

You will have to remove the front of the scope to get at little plates and nuts on the bolts holding the dovetail on.

This fills me with dread as well.  Does doing this effect collimation?

It doesn’t affect colimation at all as the screws aren’t adjustable and will lock the frint back in exactly the same place.

Just stick some bits of tape on the tube and the front ring so you know which postion to put it back in. Then just remove the screws and lift the front off. It’s a loose fit so comes off easily.  Then put it back in the same position after you have removed the bolts.

Orion Optics(Uk) can make rolled tube rings and give you radius blocks for them, i had a pair made for a C9.25

Just be prepared to wait on them being made and if you can collect them.  As there postage is ridiculous - more than the rings themselves

My order was a few months ago and they are doing free shipping on the rings now to mainland UK or at least for that size of rings.

Still not cheap but look good on the 180 though.

Edited by johninderby