SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher AZ GTi mount - Power query

Telescope40

Hello to all owners of this ere mount.  Slight issues  with my mount on the last couple of outings - namely power related/I'm thinking, 

Got the mount back in Oct 18 and it ran fine up until the new year.  3/4 sessions.   Did not use it for approx 6 weeks or so. 

Have come to make use if it again and ran into problems. 

the wifi seemed to be intermittent.  When I was able to get my I phone and / or I pad to connect I was having trouble with the alignment procedure.  The red light was blinking twice in succession so it was connected to my phone / tablet.

Used the north align and also tried the 2 star align option.  Found the first star with no issues then the slewing to the second star did not work out.  The mount just threw a fit and stopped, 

To rub salt into the wound I took the mount back inside my garage and it seemed to work ok, given I knew approximately where the align stars were and it slewed round twice as I expected.  Weather was not what I class as cold. 

Would this be power ?????    I'm on the same batteries. ( the black and gold type ) That I started with. Was hoping that new batteries would not be required on a regular basis,. Is there a * mains * power option for this mount.

Any advice gratefully received. 

Regards.  John 

Hi John,

I run mine from one of these. Seems to last ages. https://www.amazon.co.uk/TalentCell-Rechargeable-6000mAh-12000mAh-Lithium/dp/B0713T4XT9/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2MCDBVU1T0XFW&keywords=talentcell+rechargeable+12v&qid=1556206673&s=gateway&sprefix=talentcell+%2Caps%2C150&sr=8-2 

Alternatively it should run from any centre positive 12v supply with a 5.5 / 2.1mm plug. I doubt you'd need one that puts out any more than an amp. I've not tried this, but this one would probably do the job. https://www.amazon.co.uk/LightingWill-Supply-Adapter-100-240V-Transformer/dp/B07P71DTSP/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1AYU0YYNBI6C4&keywords=12v+1a+power+supply&qid=1556206777&s=gateway&sprefix=12v+1a+%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-3

Cheers

Jim

Thanks for the replies guys. 

So my thoughts  were correct. 

I do have a power supply (mains) that powers my SW NEQ6 Pro mount. 

Would this power my AZ  GTI with no issues like blowing it up maybe ?? 

Thanks.  John 

Edited by Telescope40

Yes, as long as the voltage is within range (around 12V) and the adaptor plug fits and is centre positive.  However, whilst it may be power problems the symptoms are also indicative of your mount's WiFi getting interfered with.  I set my iPhone to ignore other WiFi signals that may emanate from my house and also set it never to sleep the screen.  Since I did this it never drops the signal.  I run mine at outreach events from a USB source (5V) which is stepped up with a cable adaptor (EBay) to 12V at 0.8amps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys. 

Im back after trying a new set of batteries. 

Still got issues.  Walked all around the back garden and cannot see the WiFi on my phone or I pad for the mount. 

However as soon as I stand down the side of the house or back in my garage it works as sweet as a nut. 

Seems to be a few WiFi signals to the rear of the house and I think the mounts WiFi is getting swamped / over powered by neighbours internet signals. 

Does this sound feasible. 

My phone does come up with an option beginning with “ESP” xxxxx ???? -  is this the mount ?? 

Thanks in advance.  John 

Edited by Telescope40
More details

Another option / question. - I do have a SynScan handset I use with my NEQ6 Pro. 

If I buy the handset cable for the AZ GTI can I just switch the handset between both mounts with no issues. 

Don’t want to louse up my NEQ6 pro mount. 

Very wary of having to do firmware updates and the like. 

John