Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

100mm & M51

mikeDnight

With M51 not far from the Zenith I thought I'd stand a reasonable chance of picking it up in the 100mm Tak, despite the seeing being turbulent and the transparency mediocre at best. It wasn't long before I detected the galaxies glow using averted vision, then engaging the drive I let the scope track it while I absorbed the ghostly view. The main component appeared large with an almost stellar nucleus, and at times there appeared to be a brighter edge, hinting at a spiral arm, on the opposite side to the satalite.

The satalite galaxy also appeared to have a near stellar nucleus, with a tight misty glow surrounding its core. There was an obvious, wide divide between the two components with no hint of the bridging spiral arm linking the two. Comparing the view through the 10" F6.3 Newtonian, I can only say the view was brighter in the 10", but more contrasty in the 100mm Tak. Again, I suspect the reason for the difference was mainly due to poor seeing & transparency, with the 10" seeing more of the reflective atmospheric haze. Whatever the reason and despite the dimmer view, the 100mm gave a more well defined and pleasing view this time.

397795599_2019-04-2211_23_56.thumb.jpg.46fb09488f4142ac6f0a24e05e469516.jpg

Archived