SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Brighter galaxy views.

cotterless45

Short shift session , set up at 10 and away about midnight as the sky grew ever brighter with the moon. I'm not a great fan of eq mounted Newts, so I set up just to view north and east . This also enabled handy ep height at the zenith . 

The OO has a single secondary vane , it gives fairly clean diffraction rings. I cut a cardboard aperture mask , this covered the focus tube and whole secondary vane. This gave some razor sharp views, starting with Alkalurops. The companion split obviously even at lower power . "La Superba" gave stunning colour , really worth finding (Y CNv), much improved with aperture reduction. 

Went through to some views in Hercules , Marsic, Eltanin,Sarin and Rasalgethi. Lifting up the aperture cardboard, over to NGC 6229, a lovely bright core on this globular cluster. A very fine view of Bode's. Some views of Canes Venatici area, 

NGC 4490 ("cocoon"),.NGC 4449,NGC 5005,even the streak of NGC 4631 ("whale "), M106 and M94 .

Great to be out temperature about 15 degrees and sqm 19.14 mag. Clear skies ! Nick.IMG_6842.thumb.JPG.4a337360fa2efe8cc907f9603899b1c8.JPG

Nice report Nick, and good idea on the aperture mask for crisp stars.

I was out for a couple of hours starting with some Leo doubles before a galaxy hunt before moonrise, but the deep blue sky of the afternoon seemed to give way to a light haze and even showpieces like the Leo Triplet and M51 struggled to punch through with much gusto. 

Paul

Nice report Nick. Just been finding out about aperture masks as a result, very interesting, and useable on SCTs too (wondering if an aperture mask could reduce the hairy stars issue in SCTs?). What effective aperture did the aperture mask give you Nick?

Cutting off half gave 4", but with a single secondary and focus tube out of the way , this was a light path with no obstruction. Gave frac type contrasty view, controlled those spikes and glare from bright stars. A bit of black card is no great investment to try !

Nick.

Archived