Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Very quick question on NELM

Hi all. Just had a seriously frustrating evening and wanted to ask a quick question.

After consulting Stellarium I realised that I could only see down to about 4.6 magnitude. So my simple question is: is that considered acceptable for a good night's viewing?

I have an XT8 and a 25mm, 10mm (both plossi) as well as a 2x Barlow. 

I'm not really sure what  asking to be honest..just frustrated tonight and was curious if my viewing condition is acceptable or bad, so I adjust my future planning. 

Thanks and I apologize for the random post. 

Don’t worry. People observe in a lot worse!

With your 8” scope, the brighter targets are very doable. Don’t be expecting to be chasing down mag 12 galaxies though. I should think that the higher Messier objects should be within reach. Just don’t spend too long messing around in the murk low in the sky.

Paul

Don't forget that there is little astro darkness left at the moment, and combined with the fullish moon it is not ideal. I had a look at M3 the other night in an 8" scope and it was pretty disappointing I must say.

If you concentrate on the brighter objects you should still see things but it will get better later in the year as the nights draw in. The Moon is good to look at when at partial phase so the terminator is visible. Double stars can be fun at any time, and open clusters are usually good. Globs and the brighter planetary nebulae will also be visible, but galaxies and larger nebulae tend to need darker skies to be worthwhile.

Thanks for the reply guys. I was just a bit frustrated. As for the moon, it wasn't out yet, i was back in by 12...lost patience. Haha..

Would you say that under my viewing conditions last night with my scope, a mag 10 would be within my capability with my 25mm, 10mm and 2x Barlow? . Of course, i understand that it will depend on me and my vision etc...but just at a rough guess, to help me plan my next night out. 

Ive given up on galaxies to be honest, way too much light pollution and although i got a thrill from finding M31  and thinking about what i was looking at, the faint smudge i did see left a lot to be desired. Stars clusters are fun though. The first time i reaslied i had found one was pretty awesome, 

Im still new to this and every night out is knowledge gained. Thanks for the replies again.

From my home best I can see is mag 4.5 on a night of excellent transparency and seen. My main targets are the Moon and clusters. Orion nebula looked decent while it was out. Even when the conditions are not optimal it is still good to get out and hunt for some targets just to get some practice, so when the time is right you are ready to get most out of it.

This list may help:

https://www.nexstarsite.com/OddsNEnds/MessierDifficultyRatings.htm

On 23/04/2019 at 11:06, pregulla said:

From my home best I can see is mag 4.5 on a night of excellent transparency and seen. My main targets are the Moon and clusters. Orion nebula looked decent while it was out. Even when the conditions are not optimal it is still good to get out and hunt for some targets just to get some practice, so when the time is right you are ready to get most out of it.

This list may help:

https://www.nexstarsite.com/OddsNEnds/MessierDifficultyRatings.htm

Thanks mate. I appreciate the reply and link.

Marc

Archived