No moon illusion?

ollypenrice

Woke up early this morning and looked out of the front door to see the moon nicely framed by the Col d'Etoile to our south west. It then struck me that the moon looked rather small, even decidedly so, despite being on the horizon where we expect the 'moon illusion' to make it look large. I'm wondering, now, whether the fact of being cradled in a valley-shaped horizon negates the illusion.

759630840_Nomoonillusion2web.thumb.jpg.8642991a3a41b2fe0af07ef1bcbcefc3.jpg

So do these 'moons' below look different sizes to you?

128354853_moonillusionsketch.jpg.ee49d6c9dd0e3a55b1d8d68314b1e771.jpg

Olly

13 minutes ago, AKB said:

...also struck by the similarity between Olly’s image (beautifully rendered) and the railway track one in this article...

https://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/moon-illusion-confusion11252015/

2F05E1EC-C550-441A-90E1-10BD03C42C38.jpeg.ba3132bd6073e2f4fe085fbcb28c0d21.jpeg

(Photo credit NASA?)

Yes, that is rather better than mine! In fact I had it in the back of my mind that I'd seen a demonstration like this, perhaps even this one, my memory being abominable... Great link, thanks.

Olly

The mind can play some incredible tricks on us.

We only have to think back to Schiaparelli and other Mars observers who see things that aren't really there. It's all in the mind.

Though with the Moon, I am convinced I can see the home of the soup dragon...

5 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

I am convinced I can see the home of the soup dragon...

...strange that you should mention that: my wife is knitting one at the moment (yes, really!)

Although, actually, I believe that they live on a “moon-like planet.”

2 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

The mind can play some incredible tricks on us.

We only have to think back to Schiaparelli and other Mars observers who see things that aren't really there. It's all in the mind.

Though with the Moon, I am convinced I can see the home of the soup dragon...

The best comment ever made on Martian canals came from the great E.E. Barnard. 'I can't see 'em.'

Perfect.

Olly

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Woke up early this morning and looked out of the front door to see the moon nicely framed by the Col d'Etoile to our south west. It then struck me that the moon looked rather small, even decidedly so, despite being on the horizon where we expect the 'moon illusion' to make it look large. I'm wondering, now, whether the fact of being cradled in a valley-shaped horizon negates the illusion.

759630840_Nomoonillusion2web.thumb.jpg.8642991a3a41b2fe0af07ef1bcbcefc3.jpg

So do these 'moons' below look different sizes to you?

128354853_moonillusionsketch.jpg.ee49d6c9dd0e3a55b1d8d68314b1e771.jpg

Olly

I suspect this was just a ploy by @ollypenrice to start a Mexican wave on the forum :hello2:

Archived