Data at Last! NGC7822

Icesheet

I've had the most frustrating winter trying to image. So much so I've threatened to put all my gear up for sale on more than one occasion! Funny how a couple of hours worth of data makes everything in the world right again ;)

It's not as much data as I would have liked but here is 1hr 40min of Ha integration on NGC 7822. Captured on the NINA software using a Samyang 135mm at f2 and ZWO ASI 1600mm with 31mm Ha filter. Stacked in DSS and processed in PhotoShop CC

Gain: 200

Offset: 50

Lights: 25x240s

20 calibration frames each of darks, flats and dark flats

I'm not the most experienced at processing so I would like some good advice on what I could do better. I'm pretty sure my focus is off, which I expected as I no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get a FWHM lower than 2.5. There is also some black blotchy noise which I can't seem to control as well as I'd like. I'm not sure if 240s exposures were the best idea since it was a 3/4 moon and I was imaging towards a light source even it was behind a hill. 

If anyone would like to have a go the RAW files are here : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1XyVwyAEgc674fwjJYCfqAPLW7SEsJAwF?usp=sharing

Despite that I'm fairly happy, I can definitely see the skull anyway! Let me know what you think and post your effort if you have the time!

EDIT: I see I have forgotten to upload the darks to Google Drive. Will do it when I’m home from work.

NGC7822_calibrated_update.jpg

1 hour ago, jjosefsen said:

Glad you stuck with it, that looks great. I've read that it can be hard to focus at F2, so I guess practice makes perfect?

Also shout-out for a fellow NINA users. ?

I was actually just about to pay for the SGP pro license when I came across your post about NINA so thanks! I didn’t do anything fancy with it but it just worked. I don’t usually say that with this hobby! Connected the camera, filter wheel set up a sequence and I was away. I was really impressed with the simplicity and functionality of the user interface. Can’t believe it’s free!

Nice work.  Big thanks for sharing your data.  I certainly need to practice more.

I have downloaded your files and tried processing using APP and PI but I am really struggling to handle the light pollution. Your final image is way better than anything I can do with your data so far, well done.

Thanks for looking  @wornish and @tooth_dr

8 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks for sharing.  I didnt have time to download the data and stack it but I tried to remove the LP gradient from your image:

NGC7822_calibrated_update.jpg.665c623c3c2ef0aa341faa839964507a.thumb.jpg.76834d187d38c3fcbcb643cb9c03c383.jpg

NGC7822_calibrated_update.jpg.665c623c3c2ef0aa341faa839964507a-lpc.thumb.jpg.6ae18b0721e1fb04ed2e6c92179e0847.jpg

That’s a huge difference! It also makes the nebulosity ‘pop’ more. Did you do this in photoshop? I’ll be fiddling a bit more now ?

2 hours ago, wornish said:

What a difference with the light pollution removed.  @tooth_dr can you share the steps taken?

I had another go stacked in DSS processed in PI then quite a bit in PS.

ngc7822.jpg

That’s a huge difference too! Great effort. A bit more noisy sure but you’ve got rid of the LP and really brought the nebula out! Would like to know your process too! I knew there would be more that could be done in better hands than me!

1 hour ago, Icesheet said:

That’s a huge difference too! Great effort. A bit more noisy sure but you’ve got rid of the LP and really brought the nebula out! Would like to know your process too! I knew there would be more that could be done in better hands than me!

I did the standard stacking in DSS nothing special.

Then in PI

First I used Auto Background Extraction which helped remove some of the light pollution but nowhere near all of it, so it still was very noticeable.

Then I used Morphological Transform to slightly reduce the star sizes.

Followed by the  Screen Transfer Function with the Histogram Transform Tool to stretch the image.  I then created a Range Mask to protect the nebula and used the Curves Transform to begin to darken the background.

The pollution was still very visible so I resorted to PS.

Here I simply increased the contrast and applied it using a large soft brush via a layer mask to the regions around the nebula.  I repeated this a few times to try and get the background consistent.

Finally, I used a High Pass filter to sharpen up the image, then resized to finish.

That's it.  

I did have a play with GradientXterminator as well but didn't like the result so abandoned that version.

Thanks again for sharing your data, the more practice I get hopefully I will get better.

Much appreciated @wornish! Much of it is over my head at the moment but google is hopeful my friend. I don’t have PI but I think I’ll five the trial version a whirl to see how I get along. I won’t be imaging much up here now anyway. 

Archived