NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Eye of Mars, 4.5 arc seconds.

mikeDnight

Last night was a generally good night all round with good seeing and good transparency. After having a thoroughly good time observing the Moon with a couple of friends, the cherry on the cake was the display Mars gave through my 3.4mm & 2mm Vixen HR eyepieces. The region on view is Solis Lacus (the Eye of Mars), though it was difficult with the tiny image scale even at 370X to relate the view with the feature. The better view last night was through the 2mm HR. 

Telescope: Takahashi FC100DC, with Vixen 3.4mm and 2mm HR eyepieces, mounted on Vixen Great Polaris tracking in RA.

716343386_2019-04-1107_54_44.thumb.jpg.da585a19edd93c6da057af474b63eeff.jpg

17 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

Poor Tim ??

Great observation and drawing of a VERY small target ?

Thanks for pointing out the spelling error Dave. It takes me all my time to write properly anyway, but with the spell correct on my tablet incorrectly correcting my incorrect spelling, its a wonder I make any sense at all! :happy11:

2 hours ago, Ruud said:

That's amazing. Excellent sketching and the finet details must be smaller than half an arcsecond.

A wonderful set!

That's a good point! Perhaps we should start to consider resolution in terms of planetary detail? I've often wondered just how wide the ultrafine grooves in Saturn's rings, that are discernable through small scopes under good conditions, actually are? They are far finer than the scopes resolving power, yet though not easy, they are obvious. 

More great observations and sketches Mike :smiley:

Interesting point about how we can actually see some of these very fine features - I read an article on this sometime ago, I'll see if I can recall where. I seem to recall that it was to do with perceiving a contrast change rather than actually resolving the feature but I need to re-read the piece again.

10 minutes ago, John said:

More great observations and sketches Mike :smiley:

Interesting point about how we can actually see some of these very fine features - I read an article on this sometime ago, I'll see if I can recall where. I seem to recall that it was to do with perceiving a contrast change rather than actually resolving the feature but I need to re-read the piece again.

Thanks John,

That would be of real interest if you could find the link. I tend to start by looking for bright areas and the darker regions then seem to fall in place, so I am looking at contrast features rather than hard detail. I still get the feeling I could measure certain features such as the polar cap etc. I just need some kind person to give me or sell me a 'cheap' micrometer. ☺

Amazing drawings and observations as everyone else has said. Well done Mike. I only ever see Mars as a bright distant disc. I've never managed to make out any detail at all!

I shall have to try again.

Archived