Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rosette Nebula (HOO, hi-res) and some observations

glowingturnip

46585141255_b6d12f5c04_o.png

This is a high resolution image, nearly the full frame of my 8300 sensor, so please do click through to Flickr and zoom in, have a browse around, just don't laugh at my coma-corner  ?

12x 600s Ha, 14x 600s OIII, darks, flats & bias, equipment as per sig, Pixinsight processing.  I wanted to go for a naturalistic colour balance of the Ha and OIII based on their relative quantum efficiency and contribution to the stars and found the OIII to be much dimmer than the Ha - hence the lum is Ha only, and the RGB only gets tonal hints from the OIII - makes you wonder why I spent a whole night collecting OIII really, but I'm happy with it !  Some star colour borrowed from an old modded DSLR image I did.

There are some interesting things in there, firstly there's a Herbig-Haro object, Rosette HH1, here:

herbig_haro.thumb.PNG.d35561f2b40d9a728cb0f9f9837fd4a6.PNG

They only discovered it in 2004 (https://www.noao.edu/outreach/press/pr04/pr0403.html)- let me know if you need a hand, guys !

Then there's this thing:

helix.png.19a335f509558bc8f0b5f782f350c89f.png

It's a so-called Elephant's Trunk, similar to the Pillars of Creation in the Eagle Nebula or the actual Elephant's Trunk in IC1396.  They are caused when a knot of heavy density gas is able to withstand the strong solar winds from the stars in the centre of the nebula better than the lower density gas around it and protects the gas behind it in its shadow, causing the pillar.  However, what's special about this one is the helical nature - magnetic field lines and electrical current flowing along the axis of the pillar have cause the material to swirl around it, creating those 4 or more intertwined helixes.  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_trunk_(astronomy) )

And then there's this:

skulls.thumb.PNG.64417a8ad81c8dec421980790cb1735c.PNG

Is anyone else concerned that there's an evil alien skull staring at us from outer space ?!?

Hope you enjoy,

Stuart

Archived