Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Last night's galaxy catch with Esprit 150

gorann

Here is last nights catch of galaxies. Managed to get 5.5 hours, which is close to the limit as the nights are rapidly getting very short up here. It is a slight crop (probably around 25% taken away). It is taken with the ASI071 OSC (33 x 10 min at gain 200, offset 30, -15°C) and Esprit 150 sitting on the Mesu 200. Stacked in PI and processed mainly in PS.

Tried for the first time to make flats. I have the optimistic idea that if I keep everything very clean I can get by with only using a master dark for callibration. I still do not think I really need them since I cannot see any dust bunnies in the image and I have no vignetting with this camera and scope combination. In any case, I may have done something wrong since the version I produced with flats was very red with almost nothing blue in the galaxy or elsewhere (although I tried to follow the PI tutorial). So I ended up doing it without flats. With the Geoptic flat screen that I hang on the scope (just bought it from TS), set at the lowest brightness, I still had to do very short exposures (5 ms) do get the histogram approximately in the middle. I am a bit puzzled that the flats had to be so short and the R, G and B peaks in the histogram were clearly separated rather than overlapping - probably not a good outcome.

There are 40+ galaxies in the image with NGC 4559 (also known as Caldwell 36) being the most prominent. Still it is a relatively rarely imaged spiral galaxy, maybe because it does not have the best developed spiral stucture, and is therefore possibly not the best looking one out there. It is a member of the Coma I group in the constellation Coma Berenices. It is probably about 29 million light-years away. Annotation done in PI.

20190329 NGC4559RGB PS25smallSign.jpg

20190329_NGC4559RGB_PS21 AnnotatedSign.jpg

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Very nice Goran, I've spent the last few clear nights hoovering up Virgo / Coma galaxies will add this one to the list.

Dave

Thanks Dave!

Yes it may deserve a place on your list, should be a good target for you 10" SCT.

Oh, this is great.  The labelled image is also a boon for me, since I caught about the same FOV in a recent EAA session.

I shall use your image to see just how many I caught (no comparison, really!)

Thanks

Tony

8 hours ago, AKB said:

Oh, this is great.  The labelled image is also a boon for me, since I caught about the same FOV in a recent EAA session.

I shall use your image to see just how many I caught (no comparison, really!)

Thanks

Tony

Thanks a lot Tony! I had a look at your galaxy fest. Very impressive journey you had that night!

Brought out more or the galaxy arms using curves and reduced the green in the dust with SCNR. This spiral galaxy is apparently not so disorganized as some images suggest.

20190329 NGC4559RGB PS27smallSign.jpg

Archived