Sky watcher 180

Hi Henry and welcome to the forum :icon_biggrin:

Sorry to hear about the loss of your Grandad.

Skywatcher do a 180mm scope of the maksutov-cassegrain design - here is a link to it so you can see if that is what you have inherited:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/skywatcher-skymax-180-pro.html

The scope may well be on a mount of some sort. If you can let us know more about that we can probably provide some more information.

I have this one and can tell you it's  a great scope for planets,the only thing you need to put it on EQ5 or EQ6 mount and enjoy your journey in this beautiful world..

1 hour ago, Henryitshenry said:

Hi John 

The telescope came with two lenses.One 10mm lense and a 25mm lense.

I expect those are the ones that are supplied with the scope as standard. Good enough to get you started but not high quality eyepieces.

Hi Henry, the focal length is 2700mm, just to set the record straight, with a short tube telescope like this the light is 'bent' a number of times to acheive its longer focal length.  Also, you will need a dew shield as these type of scopes dew up easily due to the exposed front glass (called a 'corrector plate').  For dew shields go here: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dew-prevention/astrozap-flexible-dew-shield.html

12 minutes ago, rwilkey said:

Hi Henry, the focal length is 2700mm, just to set the record straight, with a short tube telescope like this the light is 'bent' a number of times to acheive its longer focal length.  Also, you will need a dew shield as these type of scopes dew up easily due to the exposed front glass (called a 'corrector plate').  For dew shields go here: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dew-prevention/astrozap-flexible-dew-shield.html

2700mm correct, not 270mm as I stated. A slip of the finger. :thumbsup:

Hi @Henryitshenry and welcome to SGL.

Sorry to hear about the death of your grandad from me too.

You have inherited a fine lunar/planetary telescope. May it give you and your family years of enjoyment and joy in this wonderful hobby and that you and your family will view something that will remind you of the times you spent time with him.

Sorry about your grandad.

Amazing views of planets, the moon, star clusters and such are possible with this scope, it is a great scope and you'll enjoy it for years to come, you will need  a mount if you don't have one. there are many options out there and you don't need to spend a lot. I have the 150mm version of the same scope, i will be buried with it lol.

One thing to note for a new Maksutov owner: these scopes take a long time to cool down from indoors to outdoors. Put it outside for at least an hour before using it.

Archived