IC1396 against the odds

Hi Everyone,

When you get a new toy (ASI1600-Pro) you just have to have a go even when conditions are far from ideal.

This is IC1396; 9x240s at unity gain, offset 50 of Ha and OIII using the ASI1600 on a WO-ZS71. In the time spent imaging the target was below 30 degrees in the northern sky being consumed by the lights of Derby city. I am quite pleased I got anything at all. I just need to be patient and wait for nebula season to return.

Thanks for looking.

2019-03-26-ic1396-hoo-sgl.thumb.jpg.0aa55a4605af3e2a8fdcb8e077aaa047.jpg

3 hours ago, Z3roCool said:

Very nice.

Thank you! I am hoping for great things from my ZS71/ASI1600 combination later in the year - just need to be patient! At least I have plenty of time to refine and optimise the setup.

Adrian

23 hours ago, Adreneline said:

Hi Everyone,

When you get a new toy (ASI1600-Pro) you just have to have a go even when conditions are far from ideal.

This is IC1396; 9x240s at unity gain, offset 50 of Ha and OIII using the ASI1600 on a WO-ZS71. In the time spent imaging the target was below 30 degrees in the northern sky being consumed by the lights of Derby city. I am quite pleased I got anything at all. I just need to be patient and wait for nebula season to return.

Thanks for looking.

2019-03-26-ic1396-hoo-sgl.thumb.jpg.0aa55a4605af3e2a8fdcb8e077aaa047.jpg

Maybe I am wrong..but you used narrowband filters so it should ignore lights from any city..or I am wrong?

Maybe I am wrong..but you used narrowband filters so it should ignore lights from any city..or I am wrong?

Depends on the target, the bandwidth and whether it is Ha, Oiii or Sii.   With my 7nm/8nm filters I can do most things in Ha, but not necessarily in Oiii and Sii from my Bortle 8 location, that tends to depend on how bright the target is. 

Carole 

41 minutes ago, serbiadarksky said:

used narrowband filters so it should ignore lights from any city

I agree with Carole - the OIII is not immune from LP or moon glow and I didn't even bother with SII. My Ha Master looks quite promising but the OIII was quite disappointing. I should probably have removed the stars before stretching but I didn't think the data warranted the effort.

Archived