NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Man-Made Material Left on Moon

Lurcher

2 hours ago, Ruud said:

Here on Earth, if we find the waste of a neolithic village we don't complain. Rather, we're very happy about it. 

There is a tiny amount of waste on the Moon, and one day it will all be of enormous historical value.

It's a treasure really.

I agree, even now if anyone could salvage an item that had the Apollo 11 insignia on it would expect an easy six figure sum or more at auction.

Alan

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Ruud said:

Here on Earth, if we find the waste of a neolithic village we don't complain. Rather, we're very happy about it. 

There is a tiny amount of waste on the Moon, and one day it will all be of enormous historical value.

It's a treasure really.

Sorry about using your post as a segue into mine but I thought it befitting...

It is interesting how we perceive waste in society I won't describe further this, but considering its underfoot most everywhere and contains the remnants of life, the living organisms and the mineral and chemical components some of those the recycled products of past lives. The very existence of us wallows in its life giving properties everything we eat vegan or no has been nurtured in it...

Maybe its only fitting that mankind leave his mark on the moon this way ?

You are right, @SIDO. Here's another segue. Every breath we take contains a few atoms breathed out by Genghis Khan.

I learned the spelling of segue, by the way, from Cara Santa Maria. She mentioned it in the Skeptic's Guide to the Universe. I checked, she's correct. My dictionary says it is originally an Italian musical term: 3rd pers. sing. pres. of seguire to follow.

1 hour ago, Ruud said:

You are right, @SIDO. Here's another segue. Every breath we take contains a few atoms breathed out by Genghis Khan.

I learned the spelling of segue, by the way, from Cara Santa Maria. She mentioned it in the Skeptic's Guide to the Universe. I checked, she's correct. My dictionary says it is originally an Italian musical term: 3rd pers. sing. pres. of seguire to follow.

Yes...I spelled it like the fitness product on late night television or the mainstream common miss spelling, thank you for the interesting details...always learning...

On 22/03/2019 at 21:49, maw lod qan said:

But from what I understand, Mt. Everest is much worse. And you can walk to get there.

Oh blimey, don't get me started on that one!! You're right though. - I was shocked just to see that it's become so popular, climbing it can now involve queuing! 

Thanks for all your thoughts and replies on this everybody. It's been interesting to hear everybody's thoughts on it, and it won't stop me from enjoying the moon obviously, but on the whole I'm with Gina!! ?

On 22/03/2019 at 16:43, Gina said:

I think it disgusting that any old rubbish should be left on the moon!  I'd call it "fly-tipping"!!!  I can understand that they couldn't take everything home form the manned moon landings but some of that rubbish is decidedly OTT

On 22/03/2019 at 21:49, maw lod qan said:

Sadly I'll admit we've been slow learners

But you're right, I think they are learning. I believe NASA are now very careful about contaminating other planets with any bacteria or any sort of DNA from Earth so that's good.

Thanks all.

Guest chaz2b

Then the argument would be...”why are we spending so much on something we’re not going to use now?” Could build hospitals and staff them for decades on that kind of money!

I don’t think the paying public would buy it.

it would need to be of use immediately and then stored for future generations, but then, technology would have moved on and whatever you stored would become obsolete, so, possibly raw materials in a readily useable format that wouldn’t wear Out?....going to be expensive no matter what.

chaz

Archived