Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ASI 1600 and guiding

Rodd

Currently I image with the ASI 1600 and that camera powers the filter wheel and lodestar 2x guider, so there is one cable to teh computer.  Would it be possible to switch teh Lodestar2x for a Skyris 236c?  I need a smaller pixel guide cam and I happen to own the 236c.  I run Maxim DL.

Rodd

4 hours ago, michael8554 said:

1) Does Maxim DL have a driver for the 236C?

2) the 236C is colour and has smaller pixels than the Lodestar, so is it going to be sensitive enough ?

Only way to find out is to try it, as you already have the camera.

Michael

All good questions.  I need a higher guiding resolution than I have, so my options are limited.  I am ordering an OAG--but these things take time.  Meanwhile--I could use a 2x powermate on the guidescope or try a smaller pixel camera--but getting my current setup to work took quite a bit of effort.  So, who knows if it will work.  Probably not.  I will need a driver--and then maybe a patch to boot (like with teh Lodestar).  Its always something.  

Rodd

1 hour ago, hughgilhespie said:

Hi Rodd,

The Skyris 236C looks as if it's designed to be used with a USB 3.0 connection. The hub on the ASI1600 only provides USB 2 connectors so that might be a problem.

HTH

Regards, Hugh

That certainly is possible.  I have used the Skyris cameras on USB 2--they just cant deliver really fast frame rates--which I wont need.  But it still might glitch the system.  Only one way to find out I suppose

Rodd

I use the 236m as a guide and planetary camera..no probs with downgrading to usb 2 in my eyes for guiding purposes.. but I've not been able to get focus with my celestron oag..it needs more inward travel I think and the shoulder on the Skyris is stopping it...

7 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

I use the 236m as a guide and planetary camera..no probs with downgrading to usb 2 in my eyes for guiding purposes.. but I've not been able to get focus with my celestron oag..it needs more inward travel I think and the shoulder on the Skyris is stopping it...

So I may have the same issue with the AP vario guider--I have extension tubes, but no way to shorten the distance.  The big question, though is if I plus it into the ASI 1600 USB 2 port, will Maxim recognize it as camera 2.  Will it perform as my Lodestar 2x does.  If it will--that would be great--but the interfacing of software/hardware is NOT one of my strong suits.  

Rodd

On 15/03/2019 at 17:17, Rodd said:

the ASI 1600 and that camera powers the filter wheel and lodestar 2x guider

I hadn't thought to daisy chain my guide camera through the ASI 1600. I found SGPro would sometimes freeze on image downloading on the ASI 1600 and I tracked the cause down to using the an external USB hub into which I'd plugged both cameras. Maybe the hub in the 1600 is much better and I could use that?

Anyway, back to your question(s). Why not go down the OAG route? I have the ZWO OAG on my 1600 and filter wheel and it works a charm on the Esprit 80. I always have stars within the OAG field of view and PHD2 is not very fussy about focus/star shapes in the OAG so I don't fuss over getting them spot on! I thought it would be much harder to manage than it was, and using OAG removes a lot of variables.

6 minutes ago, Filroden said:

I hadn't thought to daisy chain my guide camera through the ASI 1600. I found SGPro would sometimes freeze on image downloading on the ASI 1600 and I tracked the cause down to using the an external USB hub into which I'd plugged both cameras. Maybe the hub in the 1600 is much better and I could use that?

Anyway, back to your question(s). Why not go down the OAG route? I have the ZWO OAG on my 1600 and filter wheel and it works a charm on the Esprit 80. I always have stars within the OAG field of view and PHD2 is not very fussy about focus/star shapes in the OAG so I don't fuss over getting them spot on! I thought it would be much harder to manage than it was, and using OAG removes a lot of variables.

You can definitely power the guidecam through the ASI 1600.  I have to because I only have 2 USB ports.  One is for the mount, the other is for a USB hub into which I plug the ASI 1600/filter wheel/Lodestar2x group through 1 cable, my focus controller, and my lap top.  I use Maxim, and getting it to recognize the Lodestar 2x required a driver patch for starlight Xpress.  Now, it works lie a charm through Maxim.

I will go the OAG rout eventually--but that's more $$ and I already have the Skyris--I was hoping to use it in place of the Lodestar 2x for its smaller pixels.  I have guided effectively at 1,000mm with teh lodestar--but I would like to see if a better guider resoluition will improve guiding and sharpen up my images.  

Rodd

20 hours ago, Rodd said:

So I may have the same issue with the AP vario guider--I have extension tubes, but no way to shorten the distance.  The big question, though is if I plus it into the ASI 1600 USB 2 port, will Maxim recognize it as camera 2.  Will it perform as my Lodestar 2x does.  If it will--that would be great--but the interfacing of software/hardware is NOT one of my strong suits.  

Rodd

Not sure on how you're configuring as my 236 has no guideport,  only the usb lead out the back of the camera

1 hour ago, newbie alert said:

Not sure on how you're configuring as my 236 has no guideport,  only the usb lead out the back of the camera

That's all I need--As long as the camera works.  It will fit into the guidescope like an eyepiece and Maxim DL will use it to guide--I use pulse guiding--all through the USB serial connection to the computer--no guide cable.  Pulse guiding is a better way to guide from what I was told--one less cable.

Rodd

3 hours ago, Rodd said:

That's all I need--As long as the camera works.  It will fit into the guidescope like an eyepiece and Maxim DL will use it to guide--I use pulse guiding--all through the USB serial connection to the computer--no guide cable.  Pulse guiding is a better way to guide from what I was told--one less cable.

Rodd

Yes that's how I do it..(not with maxim thou) as it's the only way..

Sorry it must be me thought you was saying that you link it to the 1600

7 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Yes that's how I do it..(not with maxim thou) as it's the only way..

Sorry it must be me thought you was saying that you link it to the 1600

Yes--The ASI 1600 has 2 USBs--one for a filter wheel and one for a guide scope (I am currently using the Lodestar 2x).  I am thinking of replacing the Lodestar with the Skyris.  the ASI 1600 is cooled and it plugs into an AC adapter that provides power.  I have teh adpter on top of my scope--that plugs into a powered USB Hub, that has plugs for things like lights and AS adapters-etc.

Rodd

Archived